[tcb] Re: Too chilly?

  • From: Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 05:55:58 -0600

Oh I don't work that well in the cold, heck I don't work that well when the temperature is perfect. Sometimes it takes me hours to do things that probably take some of you guys minutes. I didn't grow up turning wrenches, I have so much to learn and my hands are wimpy and I don't have a super collection of tools yet and I fret about whether or not I'm doing it right. It was a slow process but I was determined. He was parked for a week. I usually drive him every day. I missed him.

Gerald, it sounds like you are making great progress! It would be awesome to see you and your masterpiece at BulliGras.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:26 PM, Gerald Livingston <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I wish my body parts worked that well in the cold. It was between 45 and
55 the other night when I worked on the burned wiring and it took me
about 4 hours to get the rear lights re-wired (about 8 wires and 18 or
20 connectors replaced).

I'd cut and strip a piece of wire, get it in place, crimp on a couple
of connectors, then drop the damn crimpers on the next 3 tries. Go
inside, warm up the hands, go back out and repeat.

I've been intentionally avoiding doing the rewiring in the back so I
wouldn't be tempted to just stab the motor in before getting everything
"outside" the bus done. Now I'm doing that wiring.

Got new rear wheel cylinders on. Got the spare set of Koni shocks
installed, got new shoes on all 4 sets of brakes, have the Hankooks on
the rims and on the bus.

Need new tail lights. Rusty sockets. Haven't checked the front lights
yet. Flashers work all the way around (so long as you go wiggle the
wires on the back sockets). Headlights work. No front parking lights
(but, as noted, I haven't looked inside yet).

Hey Ronnie, did you weld up the windshield lip on Utah? How much to do
mine? <grin> That's where the worst rust is and I haven't had a chance
to get anyone local to look at it. Most of the welders I know are stick
guys, not MIG/TIG.

Me getting to BulliGras kind of depends on the weather breaking for a
week or so between now and then. Bottom of the tent still not screwed
to the bus because it's been too cold for me to risk cracking he
plastic beading AND for me to get my hands to hold a screwdriver in a
tight area.

Gerald

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:24:55 -0600
Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was outside working on Donner until 10:30 last night.  I believe
it was already into the 20s when I went it.  He is sporting his new
muffler and valve adjust screws and nuts, some fresh valve cover
gaskets, and he is filled up with some fresh oil too.  He is one
happy camper and did a fine job on his 48 mile drive to work this
morning!

And welcome to Austin, Eric!  Bundle up the wife and kids and joins
us for the official Aircooler gathering this Thursday night.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Definitely!
By the way, I saw a friggin' Bay driving to work this morning...
That's a shot in the dark in Houston.
Cool.

Quoting ATX BUS <atx_bus@xxxxxxxxx>:

It has been a very cold winter, by Austin standards this year.
We usually only have a few nights of below freezing each year.
But after a brutally hot and dry summer, we get a wet and cold
winter.   Go figure.

Welcome to Austin.  We need to get together--I'll be looking for
that splitty and vanagon!

Jeff (atx_bus)
66 So-42
67 sportsmobile camper

________________________________
From: w.wood <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 2:00 PM

No, it makes the work go faster...

Now, if you were trying to pump gear lube into your transaxle,
that would be another matter entirely.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Julie
<julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Maybe this is a silly question but can it be too chilly to
adjust valves?

Sent from my iPhone

--
My Email Moniker