[tcb] Re: Thinning the Herd - Serious Question

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 06:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

Will:  I have been there, or should I say I am there.  Haven't gotten in and
out like you, just have been IN for a very long time.  At one time was up to
15, 16, 17 or something like that.  But have thinned them down somewhat by
getting rid of some of the "projects."  At some point the number becomes almost
overwhelming unless you have a very large storage facility and someone employed
to take care of them for you.  I can't afford to hire someone to restore and
maintain VWs for me so the question is; how many VWs can I personally
restore/maintain?  I am now down to 11, 2 of which are projects.  This does not
include a boneyard of parts vehicles on my farm referred to as the "old Volks
home."  At some point what I intend to do is to narrow the collection down to
my best 3 or 4 favorite ones and just maintain them and keep them until they
become part of a an estate settlement.

My idea on collecting is if you enjoy it and don't need the money why sell it.
Charlie Hamil once told me, in talking about his collection of all the bus
stuff he has, that he gets offers all the time to purchase some of his
collection, but if he sold it he would just spend the money and then he would
have nothing.

Bottom line:  I have given a lot of thought over the last couple of years to
your exact question; and I think the answer is to thin the heard down to a
manageable level then keep them and enjoy them.