[tcb] Re: T.C.B. to B.B.B. (LOOONNNGGG!)

Long distance show/campout attendance in general.

Microsoft Streets and trips shows it as 1177mi using !-40 to AZ-95 or
1279mi running down I-20 to I-10 then across I-10 to AZ-95. This is from
Dallas.

From my house it's 1482 miles using I-10 to AZ-95. No shorter options.
1512mi if I run up 45 to Dallas then use I-40 to AZ-95.

2005 will be my 4th year to attend BBB.

2002, I drove my '69 bug up to Oklahoma City and parked it at a fellow
Buskatier's house. Hitched a ride from there with 4 other Buskatiers
traveling from Kansas and Nebraska.

2003 I took Greyhound to Tulsa, OK to ride over with another Buskatier and
her two kids because she was unsure of making a trip that long alone. Would
have taken Greyhound all the way to Havasu if necessary.

2004 I drove the Chevy to Concord, CA -- bought my '73 Riviera -- hooked it
to a towbar -- towed it back to BBB -- then towed it home. (2021 miles one
way to Concord)

Jerome is 1392mi from my house. 2005 will be my 3rd year to attend Jerome.

2003. Drove the Chevy -- no running or towable bus (the '74 is dismantled,
didn't have thr Rivi)

2004. Drove the Chevy and towed the Riviera.

JBB in WV is 1312 mi from my house.

2004 was my first year to attend. I won the long distance award. I towed
the Riviera.

I do long trips a LOT. Mostly because I got started on my busventures with
the Buskatiers online and they're scattered all over the place.

Also because most of the things happening closer seem to be "car shows".
Sorry, not interested. I want a weekend to hang out with VW people 24 hours
a day, not one day that requires 2 weeks of cleaning and polishing to get
ready for.

The Texas VW Classic was OK. It required taking down the camping setup if
one wanted to enter the "show" so even if I had driven the Rivi I wouldn't
have bothered.

Paul's weekend also sounds like fun -- but it falls in the same time frame as
other shows I enjoy. (see next paragraph).

My schedule also dictates where I can go. I work EVERY weekend unless I
schedule it off carefully. Taking a weekend off actually means taking 10
days -- and working 10 days straight to make up for it. I can usually only
get one of those per month.

What I've learned because of the "show attendance habits" I've started is
that the key is SLOW DOWN!!!

Allow yourself plenty of time. Don't plan on a show that's 1500 miles away
unless you can take off from Wednesday to Wednesday (8 days) and actually
start driving TO the show on Wednesday.

Plan to be there when the gates open on Friday. If you show up on Saturday,
or even late Friday night, it feels like a wasted trip when you have to
start packing up mid-morning Sunday. You get that "that's all there is?"
feeling in your gut.

Either have 2 (or more) drivers or learn to travel like I do. I drive until
I'm too sleepy to continue then I stop and take a 1 to 6 hour nap -- in the
driver's seat. If you plan to stop and set up to crawl into bed, or get a
room, -- then sleep 8 to 10 hours because you're all warm and snuggly you
should plan on getting there being a 48 hour trip so leave late Tuesday or
VERY early Wednesday. I left at 6pm Wednesday night headed for Jerome and
was there before dawn on Friday driving the way I do -- I drove 65 most of
the trip there because I left "late" -- I usualy drive 55 when towing. Do
the math, that extra 10mph makes a BIG difference when on a long trip --
you travel an extra 240 miles for every 24 hours of drive time.

The difference between 55 and 65 can also be felt in your wallet. My truck
gets close to 18mpg at 55 -- towing. It gets about 13mpg at 65. Most
vehicles are the same. I pcked up a '69 bus for a neighbor 2 year ago.
Drove it from illinois to here. Played with speed vs. fuel. At 65 the bus
got about 16mpg. At 55 it got about 28mpg. 1600 DP engine.

If you can take more time then do it. There are a lott of beautiful sights
and landmarks along all the routes. I tend to miss them because I'm
concentrating on getting to my destination.

Been writing this an hour now and I got sidetracked (laundry and stuff).
I'll revisit it later and add if I see anything else I want to "ramble"
about. <grin>

Gerald