[tcb] Re: Split Gas Tanks

  • From: Bob Perring <perring@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:10:52 -0500

 I did the POR-15 thing to Casper several years ago, and it was quite easy.
Iwas very pleased with the results.
Here is a picture of my hookup using our shop vac to "draw" clean air
throughthe tank to speed up the drying process.
http://web2.airmail.net/perring/casper/tanksuck.jpg[1]
Bob

At 13:03 8/3/2004, you wrote:
He must have had a weakened baffle or he put some super heavy stuff in it or
he shook it beyond the  powers of mortal men. I think there are baffles
(something I'll bet the new ones don't have) to keep the gas from slamming
from side to side as you drive, but they are stronger than that.

When you pull the tank and remove the sender, put a little water in it and
slosh it around and dump it out. If you see black flaky stuff, that is
varnish created when the gas that was in it evaorated or congealed. If rust
comes out, I would do the screws and nuts shaking until the water comes out
as clean as possible, and put it back in and buy about 100 of those plastic
see-through fuel filters and change them often until they are staying clear
longer. I had to change the little screen at the fuel outlet a couple of
times. I can't remember clearly, but I think you can change that little
screen from under the car, you don't have to pull the tank, but I'm barely
sure of my name most of the time, so I could be wrong. Auto Zone and guys
like them have bigger industrial looking plastic filters you can put in
until the gas runs clearer.