[tcb] Re: Split Gas Tanks

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:16:18 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

I don't think the pictures I saw were on Richard's page. It was a set of
before and after pictures where someone duct taped a hair dryer yo the
inlet of a gas tank to dry it after washing it out with the water and rocks
method. No chemical or steam cleaning done.

Fumes still in the tank went BOOM. Enough air holes in the tank
(inlets/outlets) that it didn't turn into a schrapnel bomb. It just looked
like a warped beach ball. Still was sealed good enough to hold water but
would never fit back in the spot it was meant to go.

You will find that having a radiator shop boil it out will cost almost as
much as the sealer kit -- maybe more. And unless part of their process is a
phosporic acid flush you still need to use the Metal Ready. You just get to
skip the Marine Clean part.

You also need to make sure they doint oil the tank after cleaning. When I
called around here about having it done everyone I talked to said the final
step was to fill with transmission fluid then drain. This is SE Texas, they
do that to prevent flash rust from forming 10 seconds after they've cleaned
it and to provide a mild rust-proof coat to keep it clean until it's put
back into use. The tranny fluid dissolves off when the tank is used for
fuel again.

If they oil the tank you're back where you started -- except without the
"chunks". You have to use the Marine Clean to get the oil out then the
Metal Ready then....