[tcb] Re: Rust.... preventative

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:58:06 -0800 (PST)

And as a follow up question on the linseed oil:  have often wondered about how
the aircraft guys welded up that tubing that had been treated with the linseed
oil on the inside.  What does the welding do to metal that has been treated?

From: Gerald Livingston <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, February 23, 2009, 11:30 AM

Linseed oil soaks into the pores of the metal you treat it with. Good for
enclosed areas that you can use a fill/drain process on but not spray into
easily. Don't use it on areas you may want to paint later because you'll
spend days with acetone getting it back off.

Use boiled linseed oil. Plain linseed oil will take MONTHS to dry. Boiled will
dry in a few days but while it's drying it is penetrating and sealing.

Plug all the holes in the rocker except one, fill at least halfway with boiled
linseed oil, rotate slowly for a while, then drain and set it down in the same
position it will be welded into the bus (so the "down" side that will
collect water later will collect excess linseed runoff while drying).

The guys in this forum are discussing using it as a coating while waiting for
paint (not ideal) but this one comment is notable.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?s=4e7f2c178498db5cadff02bd8996301e&p=3475827&postcount=15

"Re: Linseed oil as rust preventative?
I scrapped an Aeronica Chief several years ago that was at least 50 years old.
It had flipped over in the wind and I wanted the engine. Airframe was bent up
beyond practical repair. I donated the tubing to a local A&P school for
practice welding. I cut it up before giving it to them and was amazed at how
well all the 4130 was preserved that had been treated with linseed oil. A lot of
the untreated but painted surfaces had some serious rust issues. "

Gerald

Eric Woodall wrote:
> Thanks sammie.
> I've read Lee's article several times.
> Basically what he is saying is that they are all a crock of $h1T in
> regards to "encapsulation".
> So, probably my best bet is to either get some master's series, or
some
> rustoleum spray paint.
> I really need something that is in an aerosol can, to spray the inside
> of the rocker assembly.
> Mainly I just wanted to see if you guys were familiar with any products
> that maybe nobody else has.
> I just mainly don't want to be redoing this in another 10 years...
>

> sammie smith wrote:
>> Go here.
>> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131753
>>
>> --- On *Sun, 2/22/09, Eric Woodall /<eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>/*
wrote:

>>     From: Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>     Subject: [tcb] Rust.... preventative
>>     To: "Texas Coalition of Buses" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>     Date: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 2:02 PM
>>
>>     Hey bus lovers,
>>     I am about to do some rust work on my bus and I have some
questions.
>>     The first thing I'm going to do is the short rocker under the
cargo doors.
>>     I bought an assembled piece for Kelly (metalwizard) several years
ago,
>>     but the inner part is not painted or anything.
>>     I need a rust preventative that I can get locally (preferred) that
I can