[tcb] Re: Question About Dual Battery Set-Up And Solar Panels

  • From: David Schwarze <dschwarze@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:02:50 -0600

Those Harbor Freight panels are not bad, but they are amorphous (sp?) panels which are not very efficient for their size and weight. There are better deals out there - I just bought a panel that is about 24" square and produces about 3 amps, so around 45 watts. Price was in the $150 range. Compare that to the HF panels which are much larger and heavier for the same price. If anyone is interested I can dig through my emails to find the source. Found out about them from Loren on the Wetwesties list. If you want the HF-style panels, I saw similar ones cheap at (of all places) Comp USA! They had two different sizes even and the prices were reasonable. Still relatively heavy and inefficient though. Maybe not a concern if you are using them for a shed, but on a bus there is only so much roof real estate available.

On 1/21/2011 7:24 PM, Justin Wilt wrote:
If you are referring to the small grey VW solar chargers they won't do much. After 6 years at the VW dealer I had a whole closet full of them. They used to come with every new car and were used to help keep a charge on the battery while the car sat at port. I gave most of mine away at VW club meetings and raffles. I think I have about 8 of them left. I don't think they would be too effective at charging a deep cycle battery after being sucked down. The harbor freight kits were on sale last weekend for $159 and you can find 20% coupons online. I usually a set when they go on sale, but I missed this one.
They come with a charge controller and two 5w fluorescent lights. The charge controller has a USB port and 12,9,6 and 3v plugs. There are alot of people using these and plenty of Youtube videos.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 7:11 PM, singlecabboy <sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I haven't found any plugs or any place to plug a solar panel or ac
    or heater or lights inside my "treasure chest " I'll have to look
    into that before Galveston.
    Paul Smith
    Transporters@The Point 8
    October 7,8 and 9 ,2011