[tcb] Re: Question About Dual Battery Set-Up And Solar Panels

Those Harbor Freight panels are not bad, but they are amorphous (sp?) panels which are not very efficient for their size and weight. There are better deals out there - I just bought a panel that is about 24" square and produces about 3 amps, so around 45 watts. Price was in the $150 range. Compare that to the HF panels which are much larger and heavier for the same price. If anyone is interested I can dig through my emails to find the source. Found out about them from Loren on the Wetwesties list. If you want the HF-style panels, I saw similar ones cheap at (of all places) Comp USA! They had two different sizes even and the prices were reasonable. Still relatively heavy and inefficient though. Maybe not a concern if you are using them for a shed, but on a bus there is only so much roof real estate available.

-David

On 1/21/2011 7:24 PM, Justin Wilt wrote:
If you are referring to the small grey VW solar chargers they won't do much. After 6 years at the VW dealer I had a whole closet full of them. They used to come with every new car and were used to help keep a charge on the battery while the car sat at port. I gave most of mine away at VW club meetings and raffles. I think I have about 8 of them left. I don't think they would be too effective at charging a deep cycle battery after being sucked down. The harbor freight kits were on sale last weekend for $159 and you can find 20% coupons online. I usually a set when they go on sale, but I missed this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html
They come with a charge controller and two 5w fluorescent lights. The charge controller has a USB port and 12,9,6 and 3v plugs. There are alot of people using these and plenty of Youtube videos.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 7:11 PM, singlecabboy <sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I haven't found any plugs or any place to plug a solar panel or ac
    or heater or lights inside my "treasure chest " I'll have to look
    into that before Galveston.
    Paul Smith
    Transporters@The Point 8
    October 7,8 and 9 ,2011