From: tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Gregory Rogers
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2011 4:21 PM
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: Question About Dual Battery Set-Up And Solar Panels

I new to this list and am a Westy newbie. I had some of the same questions
as you about solar. There's a good write up at
http://www.mrsolar.com/page/MSOS/CTGY/rv. I think that in buying the kits
from them, you're likely to pay more than you otherwise might. But you get a
tested and proven set up. I think solar is the last power source to add.
You'll need it only if / when you want to go totally off grid. No AC and no
use of the bus alternator (or portable generator) for several days. And of
course you'll need a kit like
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3567
<http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3567&category_id=337&category
_parent_id> &category_id=337&category_parent_id= to make sure both batteries
operate as intended and are kept isolated when needed. There are cheaper
ways to accomplish this too but a kit like this is proven and complete.

There's a good write up on in the type 2 archives on how to do it.

Greg

74 Westy

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Justin Wilt <sunbugone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's more of a science project to me.  I find it interesting. It is my test
bed for future projects.  If you are patient and wait for the right sale,
you can get harbor freight 45watt solar panel kits for $120 each.  You can
build solar panels yourself and save even more money.  I have less than $600
into my current setup.  I can use it for the occasional power outage,
hurricanes, camping etc..  I plan on running service from my shed to the
garage and running all of my florescent lights off of it as well. It is not
for everyone and not cheap but I plan on building it bigger over time.  I am
not looking for a payback by any means.  Sams has 105 amp hour batteries for
$66 and remember to bring an old battery for the $9 core charge.  To answer
your bus question, yes, you can charge the battery off a hook up or
alternator but if you are camping somewhere without a hook up are you going
to run your engine all night??  You wouldn't have to  if you had a solar
panel charging the battery during the day.  Just a thought

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM, kelly dosch <kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wow! 66 bux? I even have a Sam's Club membership! Thanks! I never think of
them for automotive needs.
  So you have invested what, at least $1000 into running your shed "for
free"? By my calculations, that may or may not pay for itself by the time
you have to replace all the batteries.
  I have to tell ya, I still don't get it.
  For household purposes like that, maybe a windmill and a solar water
heater. Those are actually cost effective.
  But back to the RV's. When you have an alternator and usually electric
hook-up, why spend the money for a solar panel?
  I'm not trying to argue. I honestly just wonder if there is a benefit I am
overlooking.
  Come to think of it, if one must have a green energy supply on a bus, what
could look more appropriate than several multicolored pinwheels mounted on
top, each with a tiny generator? Ha!
  OK, that was a joke, but,.......Error! Filename not specified.

From: Justin Wilt <sunbugone@xxxxxxxxx>

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Friday, January 21, 2011, 4:28 PM

Actually, Sams Club seems to have the best price on deep cycle batteries.
They start at $66.   They are interstate brand.  I am running my storage
shed in my back yard completely off solar.  It's not cheap to set up but it
makes your camper self sufficient when it comes to power.  It all depends on
your solar cell output (the sun) and the amp hour rating of your battery.  I
have 4, 120 amp hour batteries in my shed and 120W solar power charging
them.  From there you can run an inverter that bumps the voltage from 12, 24
or 48 volts to 120volts AC current.  I have lights and a small refrigerator
full of beer running completely off the sun.  I plan on transferring this
setup into my camper when it comes out of the body shop. There are amp hour
and inverter calculators online that tell you how long you can run a device.
No RV service connection needed!

Justin

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM, kelly dosch <kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx
<http://mc/compose?to=kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

  Hello. I need to get a deep cycle RV battery for my Westfalia Campmobile.
I'm seeing about a gazillion types with vastly varying prices. ($120-$600!)
Is it really all that complicated or can I just get the cheap Sears
Marine/RV battery?  ($120)
  Also, I have noticed a lot of Westies with solar panels. Why? If they have
a campsite with electrical hook-up the battery can charge itself. If not,
the alternator will charge it during a short drive. I don't get it. Why
would anybody want to drop $400 for a solar panel? (Tell me it isn't just to
be "green".)
  Thanks for your time,...  )< (- (_ (_ `(

--
Justin Wilt
Technician

Post Oak Motorcars