[tcb] Re: Question About Battery Charging

  • From: "w.wood" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:32:37 -0500

The alternator has a voltage regulator in front of it but that's not 100%
protection in the system.  The question is, can he charge his battery
without disconnecting it.  The EFI systems in the early VWs weren't as
fragile as most people would believe.

I indicated he charge could as long as he kept the key off.   Changing
ground sources and jump starting it introduces other things into the
equation.  If it were my bus, I'd say just jump start it bearing in mind to
keep the ground connection last and furthest from either battery as to avoid
sparks that could cause an explosion.