[tcb] Re: Oil leak and trans oil

  • From: "Christopher Dirksen" <cajun-eskimo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:22:12 -0600

The book say's hypoid gear oil I have been trying to search for the 90 weight with a GL -4 rateing and found

TITAN Gear LS 90, 140
LS (Limited Slip) hypoid gear oil for highly stressed normal and limited slip differentials in cars, vans, trucks, buses, tractors, construction and industrial machinery. Protects all metals normally found in gearboxes against corrosion and does not leave deposits on oil seals.

But it is API GL-5/ GL-5 LS

but the

TITAN Gear Syn 50
A fully synthetic manual transmission lubricant for extended drain and severe service applications in heavy duty manual transmissions in trucks and other commercial vehicles. Recommended for use in Eaton, Roadranger and Rockwell transmissions operating under arduous conditions such as high ambient temperatures and heavy loads, or where long oil drain periods are required. Suitable for use in Allison transmissions for on-road and off-highway applications where a C4 specification is required. Can be used where an SAE 50 or SAE 40 engine oil, or an SAE90 gear oil to API GL-4 is specified.
Specifications:
Eaton              Caterpillar TO-4
SAE 50           Komatsu Dresser
Rockwell         ZF TE-ML 01/03
Komatsu
Allison C-4
API GL-4

Interesting, Paul did they say what brand they use?

Thanks

Cajun Eskimo

Christopher Dirksen

From: singlecabboy <sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Oil leak and trans oil
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:37:13 -0800 (PST)
>From the type 2 archives, most folks and tranbuilders
>suggest you use a 90 weight with a GL -4 rateing , one
>trans builder even says if you use another rating it
>will void the warrinty on his trans, supposedly any
>other than GL-4 can harm the brass on the sycronizers.
>
>Paul Smith
>www.23window.com/thezone
>
>T.C.B.
>H.B.B.