[tcb] OT: School Bus Rescue

  • From: julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 07:39:45 -0600

Sorry to be off topic, but it is a Bus and it is in Texas, just not a VW
Bus.  I'm thinking of trying to rescue this beauty  (
http://picasaweb.google.com/julie.hey.ho.lets.go/DreamBus2?authkey=Gv1sRgCKyJroLao4Hwcg#)
but first I need to get tires on it so it can be towed.  People have
told
me that those are split rim wheels, AKA widow makers, but I've found a tire
place that ain't scared to deal with those wheels but so far I've only found
new tires which makes this project very pricey.  If I can get this Bus, I
would make it into a guest house, I would not be making it driveable so I
figure used tires would be the way to go, and so far I've had no luck
finding used ones.

So here are my questions: Can any of yous, tell for sure from the photos
that those are spilt rim wheels, and are split rim wheels only dangerous
when they are being inflated?

The tires on the Bus right now are marked 8.25-20 10 ply.  Does anyone know
of a good source for a used tires such as these?

Thanks,

Julie

P.S. The story behind the Bus is kind of funny.  It had been converted to a
camper and a hippie was driving it around in the 70s and it broke down and
he asked a farmer if he could keep it on his farm until he would come back
and fix it.  Well, he hasn't come back yet and the farmer wants it gone.
The racoons sure will miss it.