[tcb] Re: New radio= dead battery?

  • From: Mike Hayes <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 08:44:57 -0500

That would be wired incorrectly then(except for a Vanagon of course) per the radio's spec's. She would need to tap into the fuse block to a switched circuit if that is the case. Or if it's a camper then she could put in a second isolated aux battery and wire the radio to it.

On 5/31/2012 8:38 AM, Eric Woodall wrote:
Remember though, this is in a Vanagon.
In mine, the radio power was not on the ignition switch path so you had to turn the radio all the way off when you turned the van off.
So you can listen to the radio while camping maybe?

On May 31, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Mike Hayes <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I think in this case her radio is wired incorrectly. When the power wire connected to the ignition switch is turned off she should not have any display lights powered on. I have 4 cars with aftermarket radios 2 are VW's and have never had my batteries go dead in 4-5 days or even a month. I have let my Bay go as long as 3 months and it started right up. My dodge truck only gets driven maybe twice a month with no problems.

I'm not saying it can't happen especially if you have an old battery that is not up to par but, in this case I think it's the wiring. That radio should look dead with the ignition off. Unless your really good with a multimeter and tracing circuits I would disconnect the radio for a few days and see if the problem goes away. It might be your battery is in bad shape and a new radio was just too much for it. If you don't drive it much you can also get a battery tender to keep your battery topped off but, don't get a Harbor Freight tender you need a smart tender that won't overcharge your battery.

On 5/30/2012 10:10 PM, sammie smith wrote:
Yep Ronnie: You said it; a very small amount of drain to keep the memory set. The ones to which I am referring were wired correctly. The problem: that "small" drain was enough to discharge the battery over a period of 4 or 5 days without the cars running. It isn't supposed to happen, but I have seen too many of them. It does happen and I think it is a problem with the radios requiring so much power that they are useless in a car that is not driven often.

        From: photofreakk@xxxxxxxxx <photofreakk@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: [tcb] New radio= dead battery?
        Date: Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 10:48 AM

        Hey All, I have a question:  Why is my new radio always "lit
        up" even when turned off and ignition is off also? And after
        2wks (from installation of radio), now my battery is dead,
        even though I started it several times including for
        10minutes the day it "died"? So if the radio maybe drained
        my battery-Why does my radio still work and have power, even
        this morning?!? I am a newbie and looking @ my Bentley
        guide, but why doesn't it show 1985 wiring? Do I just look
        at the 1983 wiring on 97.20/97.21??  (I obviously didn't do
        the install - I paid the previous owner to do it and he had
        done several but is on the road to Grandcanyon as we speak
        to ask him)  It is a 1985 Westy vanagon GL 1.9 Thanks, Sarah
        in Tx 1985 Westy vanagon GL 1.9 "Lennon" Sent from my
        Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.