[tcb] Re: Mirrors

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:33:59 -0500

Very good idea Chuck!

I take back all the bad things I said about you yesterday.

On Oct 20, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Chuck Blue wrote:

You could always step up to the new technology and install a camera and video screen.That way you wouldn't have anything upsetting the classic line of the VW bus.The camera probably would be easier to get than mirrors.
ole blue
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Albarian" <pcalbar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: coocoo@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:23:03
To:tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Mirrors

I just came in from driving from Wiesenhiemer Road and 610 here in the happy town of Houston and I gotta tell you that, as I was crossing two lanes of traffic in the friggin' dark, and everyone doing 90 while I am doing a brisk 65 and I'm having to force my way into lanes because...well, it's Houston, I remembered fondly that in 1972 I was driving a 1960 bus that had these big stable vertical mirrors, called California or truck mirrors. The only knock I've ever heard about them was that you had to drill holes into you doors to install them. Well, as I am looking into the passenger side elephant ears and trying to will my brain into reading the wiggling distortion of headlights and trying to decode the distance and speed of the hazardous asshole who won't let me come over. I was hearing a voice in my head saying "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO TOMORROW AND BUY SOME DAMN TRUCK MIRRORS SO YOU WON"T DIE IN A FLAMING ORGY OF TWISTED METAL AND BROKEN GLASS!!!"

So? Go ahead all you purists and tell me how I am going to mess up what little stock is left to my bus. I have always said that as long as the "new" stuff was not an improvement, I wouldn't use it, but I am afraid that this is a safety improvement that is undeniable. If I am going to drive my bus for the net 30 or so days, many times, on major highways, I may need to improve the visability.

So, there.