  From: Mark Sawyer
  To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 9:00 AM
  Subject: [tcb] Re: Mega squirt

  I have checked the fuel pressure and it is exactly where it is suppose to be.
I have not replaced the relays. That might be a good idea since I think they
are the original ones.
  I have replaced the ECU more than once but always with a used one. Can the
ECU overheat and have the electronic values be effected? I have all the heat
sinks and grounds hooked up properly. I finally found my volt meter late last
night so I am going to unplug the ECU and start checking the values at the plug
again. Maybe Dan could come over and give me a hand and see what he thinks
about installing the Megasquirt.
  Thanks---Mark

  Chuck Blue <sukchew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Have you checked your fuel pressure? I don't know what it is supposed to be
but the pressures should be listed in you manual.do you have a fuel pump
relay?That is also a possibility.
      I would think that with the sensors that are on that engine the
megasquirt should be easy to install.You will probably have to install a TPS a
mat sensor .It probably has a MAP sensor some where ,you might want to check
that.You could have a electrical breakdown due to the heat from a long trip.Can
you duplicate the problem with out doing the long trip thing.generally a temp
sensor will not cause a cutting out condition.It will make things rich or lean.
      The Sciroccos seem to have lots of fuel pump problems but most of them
are high psi systems (110psi)I don't think yours will be that high probably
around 43 psi
     I think the Megasquirt would be relatively easy to install on the
Vanagon.Most of the sensors and injectors are Bosch and that is compatible with
the Megasquirt system.You probably would want to use a heated narrow band 02
sensor as it will give you better information.I have installed a wideband 02
sensor with a controller and a digital air fuel ratio gauge on the dash.It
allows a much finer
    Mixture adjustment but it certainly is not required.If you do decide to
Megasquirt you might want to consider the megaview.It is a 45 second scroll of
engine information ,some of which is really handy.You can also use it to change
the mixture from the cockpit but it is not recommended for obvious reasons.
    ole blue
            From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
            Date: May 10, 2006 1:48:51 PM CDT
            To: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
            Subject: Re: Mega squirt

            Not a word from Chuck or anybody else about fuel injection. I was
doing some testing the other night and thing that I have a bad temp sensor. I
would still like to invest in a system that would be more reliable than a 22
year old and outdated injection. I just don't know enough about computers to
even know where to start. I am going to go get my spare engine out of the store
room this weekend and start getting ready it ready to install. I think the
engine that is in the vanagon now is starting to knock a little more than it
use to, or I could just be getting paranoid.

            Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
              Have you heard anything from Chuck?
              Denis and I also know the Dave Bolen listed in these e mail from
the type2 list.
              Dave is in the VW club Denis is in now, he lives in Fayetteville,
Ar..
              I know not a lot of hope for hands on help but I think you and
Mark and I could pull it off with Dave and Chucks help.
              See what you think and I will see if we can figure some way to
commucate.
              I may foeward this to them to get their opinions soon.

              Begin forwarded message:

                From: Gundesens <gundesen@xxxxxxx>
                Date: May 7, 2006 3:28:12 PM CDT
                To: type2@xxxxxxxxx
                Subject: [T2] Megasquirt on 82 Vanagon

                Hello list,  I am making slow progress installing a new
Megasquirt injection system on the bus and could use a leg up from the guys who
have done this on the same engine.
                I am using MS-II, V3.0 board, fuel only until I get everything
running well, then ignition control as well.
                I cannot get it to idle, and only runs when I advance the
ignition a lot.
                I would love to get your .msq and VE tables if you have arrived
at a tuning set-up that you are happy with.  Are you running the original low
impedance injectors? with PWM or resistors?

                Thanks very much. I will take this off list now, I just wanted
to contact the VW guys on megasquirt as directly as I could.

                GG
                '82 California Vanagon
                Calgary, Alberta

                  For additional commands send any e-mail to:
type2-help@xxxxxxxxx
                Donations help keep the list going.
http://www.type2.com/donate.html

              Begin forwarded message:

                From: "Dave C. Bolen" <dbolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Date: May 8, 2006 11:17:02 AM CDT
                To: andy <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Cc: type2@xxxxxxxxx
                Subject: Re: [T2] Megasquirt on 82 Vanagon

                Ok,

                So here is what I sent back this morning....not megasquirt V3,
but an
                earlier version....with pics...in a camper.

                Ed's site is still up and should provide you with the numbers
you need.

                Compare pressures and injectors and go from there.

                Great pics also!

                http://tbone2091.tripod.com/megasquirt/

                Cheers, dave

                "I'm more interested in getting it right, than being
right"....dave

                On Mon, 8 May 2006, andy wrote:

                      Actually, can we kinda keep this a little on-the-list?

                    I'd like to follow this as well. While I have no need to
mess with the FI in
                    the Guac, it's something I've always been interested in.

                  Me too.

                From: "Dave C. Bolen" <dbolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Date: May 8, 2006 2:59:06 PM CDT
                To: DurocShark <durocshark@xxxxxxxxx>
                Cc: andy <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, type2@xxxxxxxxx

                Don,

                Let's see if I can remember....

                Depends on how far you want to take it....

                No AFM box.(lose the intake restriction.) MS uses a throttle
position
                sensor.
                No stock ECU box.  Use MS ECU

                No double relay.  Use MS Relay package.

                If you want, you can loose the resistors for the
injectors....although
                it may be a more robust system if you leave them.

                Lose the stock temperature sensor.  Use the GM replacement in
the air
                stream.

                I may have missed something along the way.

                The good/bad news.......

                You have complete contol over the ECU, which means you can
program
                pretty much everything....the bad news is the same....you can
do harm to
                your engine by programming it to not inject enough gas at high
speed.
                Of course, you can do that with a carb as well if you try....

                Go here to learn more.

                http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html

                On Mon, 8 May 2006, DurocShark wrote:

                    http://tbone2091.tripod.com/megasquirt/

                 That is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

                 Now, what is the benefit for a stock configuration to using MS
as opposed to
                 the stock computer?

                  --
                  Don
                  The Guacamole Bus

                From: George Lyle <glyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Date: May 8, 2006 4:35:19 PM CDT
                To: "Dave C. Bolen" <dbolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Cc: DurocShark <durocshark@xxxxxxxxx>, andy
<andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, type2@xxxxxxxxx

                On Mon, 8 May 2006, Dave C. Bolen wrote:

                  Go here to learn more.

                  http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html

                Another alternative for those who have less time and more money:

                http://www.sdsefi.com

                I think that Jake Raby is using the SDS unit on his type 4
engines.

                Lots of info, including complete manuals, on that site.

                George

                From: Gundesens <gundesen@xxxxxxx>
                Date: May 8, 2006 10:29:28 PM CDT
                To: type2@xxxxxxxxx
                Subject: [T2] Re: Megasquirt on 82 Vanagon

                Thanks for the interest. I will eventually get pictures and a
story up on my website.
                Benefits to me:
                Well, my existing stock setup was giving me a new problem to
deal with every couple of months. This was attributable to 24 year old wiring
being heat damaged so it snapped instead of flexed when bent.  Also the ECU was
flaky, verified by swapping with a federal ECU which ran poorly, but had
different issues than the original California one.  I just recently opened up
the Cal. ECU and was surprised by the amount of corrosion which had crept
inside it, but no surprise it was flaky after seeing that.  By the way, I was
going to try and salvage and use the injector resistors which I thought were
built into the ECU (not external on this model), but could not find them.
Perhaps Bosch used some sort of pulse width modulation (PWM) to control the
current on the stock unit?  The resistors should be big and obvious if they
were part of the circuit.
                Right, back to the benefits...  I would have had to rebuild the
wiring harness almost from scratch to do it right (no-one supplies rebuilt FI
harnesses AFAIK), and find another old ECU which worked reliably (or paid the
big bucks for the rebuild if available).  The alternative I chose was the
Megasquirt.
                Advantages:
                - have the fun of building it (sort of like the fun of building
a model airplane kit, but more of it)
                - Learn something about fuel injection and engine tuning in
fair depth
                - simplify the whole system hardware-wise >> eliminate the AFM,
coldstart valve, thermotime switch, double relay, decel valve. I also got rid
of the digital ignition set-up except for my hall-effect distributor.
                - Gain a new modern fuel injection system which is totally user
programmable (or self-tuning to an extent), for at least as good as like-new
performance. I had just rebuilt the engine, it now has ~750 miles on it.
                - The current Megasquirt version WILL control ignition advance
as well, but I need to get the fuel right before going there.

                Stock components:
                - fuel injectors
                - air filter and housing
                - temp-II sensor
                - oxygen sensor (Cal. Vanagon)
                - distributor (so far - will remove the centrifugal and vac
advance mechanisms when I let Megasquirt control the spark)

                Custom or modified:
                - interface flange/tube between the S-tube and the air filter
housing
                - added a GM intake air temp sensor in the air filter housing
                - modified a throttle body from a 914 to accept a Bosch
potentiometer type throttle position sensor (TPS) - std Volvo 850 part. I
couldn't use the original TB because the shaft did not extend out the bottom
for the needed TPS.
                - put in an MSD ignition system, wires and a zero ohm
distributor rotor (hey Richard! Niehoff WA307 - it has the narrow contact nose,
but zero ohms without modification ~ $7)
                - added a new 'double relay' set-up for main power and fuel
                - added an add'l fuse panel to handle the MSD, fuel pump,
injectors, megasquirt, and main power (term. 30)

                That's the story so far.

                GG
                '82 Calif Vanagon Westy - going Megasquirt
                Calgary, Alberta

                -