[tcb] Re: I'm thoroughly bummed... the 23 won't be at Nac

  • From: James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 06:53:47 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Gerald!

James

DAC
TCB
'59 23 Window Deluxe
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 Super Vert

________________________________
 From: Gerald Livingston <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 5:14 PM
Subject: [tcb] Re: I'm thoroughly bummed... the 23 won't be at Nac

This is getting long so I trimmed it up a bit.

You have problems that a "hot start" relay will probably not fix but
earlier there was a suggestion to get a Ford starter relay and add it
in.

Don't.

The only reason a Ford relay  usually worked for people is because it
was new and the solenoid it was "helping" was old. A ford starter relay
is basically the same as the solenoid on your starter. It's a GREAT BIG
coil that uses 4 or 5 amps to pull in a set of contactors rated for 200+
amps used to turn the starter motor itself. It's a waste to use it to
provide power to your starter solenoid that probably just needs 6 or 8
amps as it ages. And, if it's a wiring problem then putting a solenoid
the same size as the original on the end of the weak wire will leave
the same problem.

For 12V systems the relay to use is the ubiquitous "little black
block" sold as a general purpose automotive relay. The contacts are
rated for 30 to 40 amps and even that is overkill. The COIL on them
draws less than 0.5 amp.

For a 6 volt system buy these and toss them in your toolbox.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250883229912?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Under $10 each is a VERY good price. These are appliance relays rated
for continuous duty just like the 12V square block automotive relays.

In the next few days I'll do a write-up of how to wire them to get good
voltage to your starter solenoid, ignition coil, and headlights by
bypassing the switches and long wiring runs. Using relays will also
help extend the life of your switches because a small relay uses a LOT
less amperage to operate than the items they will be running.

You should be able to put these completely out of sight keeping a stock
look except for a few extra single-wire runs that only a concours level
judge would notice.

I think a few people saw my relay box at T@P last year. It's "tossed-in
sloppy" and has the extra feature of a plug I can connect a cable to
and operate the ignition and starter from the engine bay plus a 3rd
relay at the back to use for an aux-battery charging circuit later.
In use I have 2 relays in back (starter and coil) and two up front
(high/low beams with H4 headlights).

G2