[tcb] Re: Holiday work party?

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:39:29 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Hehe. I have had the Rivi within about 2 hours of starting since August.
I've been procrastinating because I'd really like to have other VW folks
around to listen and watch for errors when it fires up the first time. I'm
a little twitchy about starting this motor after having it self destruct
after 180 miles the last time I had it running. (missing front tin and no
cooling fan cover -- road debris got in the fan and fired sideways through
the oil cooler -- no gauges and the idiot light was slow to respond -- the
bottom end was knocking before the light came on).

What's required to start it:

really, just add gas and tranny oil, drain the 6 or 7 quarts of oil that's
in it (overfilled for crate storage) and refill to proper level, then wire
up the engine compartment -- 10 or 20 minutes max

That'll get it "started". Need to install the new axles and adjust the
shifter to actually make it move.

Other stuff to be done before I'd be comfortable actually starting it:

Add the guages I have ready to go
a) install and hook up the CHT
b) drill/tap the taco plate for the oil temp sender
c) add an extender hose (that I need to order from ACN or have made) and
tee to run vdo oil pressure and stock idiot light.

And, before actually driving more than a few feet I need to replace all
rubber brake lines and flush the system (I have a power-bleeder available).

Maybe a few would like to have a new years day "after party". I,
personally, don't go out new years eve as a general rule.

Gerald