From: w.wood <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Re: Help engine woes.
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 3:15 PM

I agree with Denis, the firing order is off.  Your firing order is 1-4-3-2.
Looking at the engine compartment, the cylinder closest to the front of the car
on the right is #1. #2 is the other on the right side.  #3 is closest to the
front on the left and #4 is the other.  There should be cylinder numbers
stamped on the tin (if you have original VW engine tin)

Anyway, there's an easy way to get out of this mess.  Rotate the engine by hand
until the TDC timing marks line up with the split in your engine case.  At that
point you are either at firing point for #1 or #3.  Pop the cap off of the
distributor and see where the rotor is .. Above that on the cap should be the
#1 or #3 wire.  Adjust your wires clockwise on the cap based on that.  Now, you
have a 50 50 chance this way.  If you want to be 100% sure pop off the right
side valve cover for #1/#2 side and make sure that both rockers are up for #1.
If not, rotate the engine 360 degrees until the rockers are up.  By "Up" I mean
not opening either the intake or exhaust valve.  YOu should also have .006" of
clearance between the top of the valve and the rocker arm, measured with a
feeler gauge.  At that point
you know you're at #1, TDC and the rotor will need to point to the #1 spark
plug position.  The rotor runs clockwise so clockwise from #1, will be #4, then
opposite #1 will be #3 and finally #2.

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Cari Smith <cariandpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After buying the bently manual the other paul smith and i were going to do a
compression test, and why not change the spark plugs while were at it. Took out
all 4plugs. Properly labeled wires. Read thatengine should be warm so we were
going to put in new plugs and run her a bit. Battery was dead so we charged it.
Today it wont run at all. Put old plugs back in to see if e could even get her
running, but no go. We double checked the timing. Will turn over w starter, but
yhe air filter is puffing out with a hissing noise. Help.

--
My Email Moniker
http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx