[tcb] Getting ready....BRAKES

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:56:36 -0500

So, I took Murray camping a couple of weeks ago up near Branson and we took
the most up and down, curvy roads possible and my brake pedal would get
really hard, with no play at all, but I still had brakes. So, even though I
hate brake work the most, I took off the right rear wheel to see inside and
pieces just fell out. Apparently a cylinder did not release and I was
dragging a shoe and it would heat the fluid and make the pedal hard.

I wanted to be lazy and fix just the brakes on the damaged side, but Tom,
the counter guy at Ozark Imports, my parts source, would not sell me only
half the parts. He sold me two GERMAN cylinders and a SET of GERMAN shoes. I
managed to get my drums turned at 4:50 PM at a machine shop for $20 and
finished the whole job (except the bleeding) at about 1 AM.

Now I am too tired to come to the Classic.

Here's a question. I always wash my hands after I go to the bathroom. Does
it matter when your hands are black with brake dust? Can germs live in that?
I did anyway and then I had to clean the sink.