[tcb] Gerald's other bus [WAS: Re: Re: Can a collision move the engine?]

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gerald.tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:33:32 -0500

I'm down to 609 unread messages on the list.

These are OLD pictures, I just pulled the archive of my old phorce1.com site and stuck it back online:

http://phorce1.com/Buskatiers/Gerald.L/album.html

Look at "my-first-bus-pics", "first-mini-resto-2002", and "resto-start"

"my-first-bus-pics" are pics from the original owner and also the first pics I took of the '74.

The 2002 thing was a quick strip and clean then installation of the Raby motor by Billy (my youngest brother) and I. Then I drove it daily ... for the 180 miles before I blew the motor.

Then I got the "Paint Bus" from Colorado in August of that year and we transplanted that worn out motor and I drove it some more while coming up with parts cash then waiting for Jake to rebuild the blown motor.

Billy died in March of 2003. I still didn't have the Raby motor back and the Paint Bus motor gave out so in April I started taking the '74 apart for a better clean up and possible paint. That's the "resto-start". It just didn't move along as well without Billy there.

Then my mother decided to pack up my grandmother and move out of state so I moved into my grandmother's house, no garage. The '74 went into a storage unit completely stripped of interior, glass, motor, tranny. It's still there.

Somewhere in there (before Mom moved) I got the Raby engine back. It was just sitting on my front porch in a crate for a long time. No place to do the kind of work the '74 needed to get put back together so I picked up the Rivi in January '04. Got the motor in and started for the first time in January '05. Got tags in March '05. Had it running well enough to pass inspection (we know how well they inspect old VW's, right) in April, '05. The rear wheel bearings went out the first time trying to drive to the Classic in '05.

And this is now a story about the Rivi ... so I'll stop.

Gerald

Denis Dodson wrote:
Well, I don't think it's a "new" bus. he told me that he had another and it would be easier to move the Raby engine and all other stuff than to fix the rear end of the Rivi. He's lurking here, so he should come on and tell of his plans.