[tcb] Gerald

  • From: Ronnie Hughes <fracdogii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 05:01:17 -0700 (PDT)

Here are few things I've experienced that you may want to double check.

        1. Even though I was sure and convinced I had the plugs wires correct,
they
weren't. Make sure you have the wires correct and make sure the sequence is
correct.  #1 & #3 were in the right place regardless which way the dizzy
turned,
but #2 & #4 were backwards.  Engine ran, popped a little and had poor power.
        2. Steel fuel line plugged with mud, dirt and rust.  Engine ran, idled
poorly,
no power.  Run from a gas can.
        3. Set timing with static light the Muir way to get started.  Pop valve
covers
and make sure you are TDC
        4. Borrow a good known carb from someone.
        5. As someone else suggested, pull the dizzy and set the points on the
bench
        6. Make sure dizzy is installed correctly.  If backwards, once again, a
VW will
run on two cylinders, but has poor power and idle
        7. Coil?  Condensor? Points?  Distributor cap?
        8. Make sure you have solid 12 volts at the coil.  A VW will crank at 8
or 9
volts, but might not start.
I'm sure I've had other silly things trip me up, but these have all gotten me.

Ronnie