[tcb] Friday Take on Dad

  • From: "Trey Jung" <treyjung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:04:44 -0500

My father passed away last  Friday in Baton Rouge after a couple of years with
Alzheimer's. He got me into VW's, as my first car was a 69 bus. Man I had fun
in that thing. (nothing like being 15 and driving all over the place looking
cool) .  I played guitar in high school but the only reason I got into any band
was that I had the bus to haul everything in. :) Then I became various band
managers and of course the sound guy.

Dad sold VW's from 1963 to 1971... and was the #1 rep pretty much wherever he
worked. I remember seeing light blue bugs all over BR as he sold them to the BR
water department, It was soooo coool to a 10 year old  to know that my dad sold
them all.

Over the weekend, my mom gave me a couple of his lapel pins from VW she had in
her top drawer. One has a diamond in it and the other states that he was a
member of  the VW sales guild in 1968 (when he sold over 500 cars in the year).
What great mementos.

My main car is 2006 Passat (it's my 3rd passat other were a 96 and a 2000) , I
had a 86 Jetta GTL, a 77 Rabbit, a 72 VW 411 (yes. I had one of those dogs)
plus my latest the 2001 Eurovan Camper and my 2nd 71 Westy (NewDee)......

Just thinking about my "loyalty"  for  VWs new and old, and Dad was the
catalyst this Friday.

Trey