[tcb] Eureka Springs news

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 08:55:00 -0500

Jan and I went to a meeting of the Volksmiesters last night. I think it was
their first meeting since the Eureka Springs show They are co-sponsors with the
Northwest Arkansas Volkswagen Club.

It wasn't much of a meeting, they had it in a new site, a restaurant, where it
turned out was really crowded and loud, so they more or less cancelled the
meeting until next month and everyone just milled around and I got acquainted
with most of them.

I tried to make sure everyone knew that I was a new guy who had been to 5 shows
and had only lived here for little over a year, that I had heard alot of
outside talk about the show and that I would like to help.

Certain points stood out:

It takes about 50 people to put on the show. They are all tired of not having
any of the fun. They actually had more fun at the last show than they had in
years because they weren't shackled to the judging.

A guy in the, almost non-existing, NWAVW is the co-sponsor and is part owner of
the Inn of the Ozarks. Therefore it will always be held there and will always
be held in the weekend before the Labor Day weekend.

They all thought that judging at this past show was a disaster, and will be
trying to come up with a different system where it can be more fun for the
volunteers who help run the show. I told them that I like "people's choice"
where all the people attending would get a ballot and they would vote for the
winners. They don't like that because it creates a popularity contest. I said I
don't care, it is still the most fun. I said that there should be a kinda
"professional" set of judges that could give trophies to the guys who take off
the wheels and have a mirror under the car to show that even the underside is
spotless. I was surprised when I was told that they want to discourage that
kind of showing, that they wanted more nice but everyday drivers.

Most everyone there was old, like me

I suggested that they need to put info on a new website asap.

I was told that if I really wanted to know the inside stuff about why the show
is the ways it is, that I should stand by the podium after the awards for an
hour and listen to all the complaints.

I told them about the trouble I had just trying have a party, and that I was
accused of trying to rip-off people with hidden charges. They told me that
those particular people were pinheads and made problems every year.

So I'm learning new stuff.