[tcb] Current progress on the Rivi

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:13:38 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Drove Dad around Monday and went back to work on the Rivi Monday evening.
Mom was in for brain surgery and I was waiting for a call so I didn't want
to crawl under to do the axle and not be able to get to the phone.

I took the fuel pump apart again and applied the PTFE, fuel safe, teflon
tape I bought at the hardware store next to work. Pretty funny, hardware
stores carry the stuff listed as fuel safe for $0.10 more than the regular
and auto parts stores never heard of it. It still sounds like I have air
escaping around the outlet fitting but that may just be a sound the pump
makes that I am not used to. I need to find a good quality fuel pressure
gauge and add another T to add it to the group of stuff my firewall is
growing.

Then I went ahead and greased the CV's on the other axle and bagged it in
prep for install.

When that was done I pulled out Bentley and started investigating the
headlight/wiper issue. Turns out that when the PO hacked in the external
ignition switch they must have done it "by feel" (testing to see which
wires were actually needed to start the bus). They got the bus started
without having the "X" terminial wire hooked up so they just left it
dangling (Yellow/Black). That's the wire that provides power back to the
headlight/wiper circuits when the key is in the "run" position.

Mom made it through surgery OK. She threatened to hurt me if I came up
there this week because she'll be in ICU or regular hospital bed and
zombied on drugs all week. I'll run up there when I get off work this
coming Sunday at midnight (12 hour drive) and make fun of her after she's
moved to an inpatient rehab bed. Since they found the small spot of cancer
she'll now have to have a PET scan every 3 months for the rest of her life
and the doctor says they'll most likely find a new spot that has has to be
removed every 3 to 5 years. I hope she didn't get her brain from my side of
the family, there may not be that much to take out. ;-D  I asked where they
were putting the hinge on her skull and she said she hoped they'd just use
a removeable panel on top so she could cover it with a hat.  She's still
moving to Hawaii, just pushed back the move plans about 6 weeks for this
surgery.

I'm heading back to the Rivi this evening to put the other axle in, rewire
the ignition WITH the "X" wire (and with terminals instead of twisting the
wires), and try to track down why I still have no idiot lights. I suspect
they pulled more wires than they needed to under the dash <sigh>. At least
I have my poster size printout of the wiring diagram from vintagebus.com to
hang on the wall and work with. Still need to find someone with a machine
big enough to laminate it though.

Gerald