[tcb] Re: Can a collision move the engine?

  • From: "Fred McDonald" <texasbluebus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:20:24 -0500

Best explanation yet!
And don't forget at impact there was an enormous blast of Gamma Radiation when
small star collapsed on it's self creating  the black hole in the engine
compartment frying the electric ignition.
            From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
            To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 8:57 AM

            I've seen the entire rear torsion assembly shift after a front end
collision, now the other damage could be caused as a side effect.  Things
            being what they are the frame rails are probably 1/4 to 1/3 less in
strength than when the left the factory so any collision could cause an
accordion effect.  I had a single cab that
            one day I tried to jack it up on the frame support rail and it
crumpled.  As they say, they don't get better with age.

                      From: Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
                      Subject: [tcb] Can a collision move the engine?
                      To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 5:48 PM

                      I have done absolutely zero work of maintenance on
Murray's mechanicals since the tree kissing. When ever I did start him to move
him a few yards while doing the body work, there was a banging noise that I
thought was the tailpipe banging against the body metal. When Chuck and I were
replacing the electronic points with real points, I noticed that the crank
pulley nut was loose. It took a few turns. I also had to push the cooling tin
away from the pulley. When I started the engine with Chuck looking at the
engine we found that the pulley is way wobbly.

                      There was no problem before the crash. I say that I was
going, maybe, 15 MPH when I hit the tree, because I can't think that I was
going much faster, maybe I was.

                      The question is, would a front collision cause the engine
to move forward, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch? How hard would I have to smack to cause
the engine to go forward far enough to bend the pulley?

                      Let's all make a wish that the crank wasn't damaged. I'll
know tomorrow, maybe.