[tcb] Re: Can a collision move the engine?

  • From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:59:57 -0500

can i borrow the bakery bus to experiment :D...i don't have a splitty so i
don't know what would happen if one ran into a tree...i want all the
circumstances to be accurate so the bakery bus would be perfect to use.Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 05:54:49 -0700From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb]
Re: Can a collision move the engine?To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ain't so.  Go
experiment.--- On Wed, 10/15/08, Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [tcb] Re: Can a
collision move the engine?To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wednesday, October 15,
2008, 7:31 AM

i would think it could move the motor...15mph is fast when you hit a stationary
object

From: coocoo@xxxxxxxxx: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [tcb] Can a collision move
the engine?Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:48:42 -0500

I have done absolutely zero work of maintenance on Murray's mechanicals since
the tree kissing. When ever I did start him to move him a few yards while doing
the body work, there was a banging noise that I thought was the tailpipe
banging against the body metal. When Chuck and I were replacing the electronic
points with real points, I noticed that the crank pulley nut was loose. It took
a few turns. I also had to push the cooling tin away from the pulley. When I
started the engine with Chuck looking at the engine we found that the pulley is
way wobbly.

There was no problem before the crash. I say that I was going, maybe, 15 MPH
when I hit the tree, because I can't think that I was going much faster, maybe
I was.

The question is, would a front collision cause the engine to move forward,
maybe 1/4-1/2 inch? How hard would I have to smack to cause the engine to go
forward far enough to bend the pulley?

Let's all make a wish that the crank wasn't damaged. I'll know tomorrow, maybe.

See Now
See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your
life.