[tcb] Bus story of the day

  • From: wuzmop@xxxxxxx
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:38:59 -0500

So last night I go to bed thinking to myself, "I gotta put gas in the bus in
the morning."

Fast forward to 5:30 am: This morning on the way out I do my normal check for
phone, wallet, badge, keys. Everything checks out, but I have this nagging
feeling that I'm forgetting something on my way to work.

Hit a stretch of southbound I35 where there are no street lights, no
civilization, with the exception of homeless people. Bus stutters and stalls.
Still nothing has dawned on me. Coasted, tried to start bus, it starts and gets
me maybe another 100 yards of momentum, enough to coast under some street
lights before Northwest Highway. I check my probablities, all checks out. Then
it dawns on me. CRAP!

So, there is a gas station about 1/2 a mile away on the other side of the
highway. Thank god I've been running 2 miles a day, because under the Northwest
highway bridge is likely where most of the homeless folks crash, and I have to
go under it to get to the gas station. That and if I'm gone long my bus gets
stripped or will be occupied by homeless people.

I haul butt to the station. It's 6:05, sign says it opens at 6. Cool. Until I
realize the doors are closed and the lady at the counter is COMPLETELY ignoring
me. For 15 minutes. Some guy rolls up and needs to pay cash for gas so when the
pump starts beeping inside, she finally opens the door.

$15 1 gallon gas can in hand, I run back to the bus. A big sigh of relief that
he hadn't been molested. Gas that bad boy up and roll on to work.

This is BEFORE I had any caffiene.

Robb 1
Bus 0
AOL Mail and more.