[tcb] Re: Bus Depot Add-A-Room Side Tent Review

  • From: kelly dosch <kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 07:18:55 -0800 (PST)

  No, ya put a few drops on your food so you won't fart later. It's odorless,
tasteless and you can get it at any drug store. No camper should be without it.
  Now, speaking of tasteless, I'm gonna wrap this up before this whole thread
turns into string of fart jokes.

From: Eric Woodall
                <ericthomaswoodall@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [tcb] Re: Bus
                Depot Add-A-Room Side Tent Review
To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Texas Coalition of Buses"
                <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, February 20, 2011,
                9:45 AM

                Just don't try to use one with a
                full length roof rack.

                I just don't work.

                I'm glad you liked yours, I just
                hated mine.

                It was great while it was set up
                but set up and teardown sucked big time I thought.

                Guess I'm probably spoiled by
                years of setting up backpacking tents though.

On Feb 19, 2011, at 10:35 PM,
                kelly dosch <kellydosch@xxxxxxxxx>
                wrote:

                          In case any of
                        you have been considering selling a kidney to buy one
                        these rudely over-priced tents, I highly recommend it.

  I think it is really every bit as good as
                        they claim, if not better.
  Is it really over
                        $400 worth of tent? Not by any stretch. For that money
                        one might expect a Sherpa to carry it for you. But they
                        have cornered the U.S. market so it's all about supply
                        and demand.
   Does you want one or does
                        you don't?
  I searched long and hard and
                        finally found some side tents across the pond. They had
                        some interesting tents but they don't ship to the U.S..
                        I checked the prices of a few remailing services, did
                        the math, and one might as well get plowed by Bus Depot
                        for all the trouble it was worth. Plus, Europeans are
                        not terribly concerned with having a floor in a tent.
                        That just doesn't fly down here with the swarms of
                        mosquitoes.
  The Bus Depot tent makes an
                        impressively snug fit against the bus and has a bottom
                        curtain so wind, bugs and varmints don't just wander in
                        underneath.
  The canvas is thin but stronger
                        than your average tent. The poles are built like a
tank.

  These tents are built to last.
  It
                        actually packs down a bit smaller than they estimate
and
                        the tent, poles, and ropes and stakes are in 3
different
                        bags, so you can spread them throughout the bus more
                        efficiently than if it were all one huge mass.

  It is heavier than all hell at 85lbs, but
                        most of the weight is in the poles. (which is a
                        relatively small bag that will disappear, flush,
                        in the front cargo rack) They are very heavy duty and
                        built to last. Since It is something I want to last as
                        long as my bus I cannot fault them for that. The poles
                        are the cornerstone of the tent and it is safe to say
                        they will last forever.
  The extra "changing
                        room" is on sale, but I don't recommend it. It
literally
                        takes up half the tent. If you are shy about changing
                        with your guests it is easier to just do it under the
                        blankets or in the john at your campground.
                        didn't pay over $400 for a tent just to use half of it
                        to change my pants in.
  I just wanted to give
                        everybody my two cents worth because it is a lot of
cash
                        to drop on a product from a company that offers no
                        reviews. They don't even have many pictures and the
ones
                        they have are crappy. I don't even think the one in the
                        picture was entirely set up. It looks like a big potato
                        sack. It really tightens down much nicer than the pic.

  All told- Are they overcharging us? Hell yes.
                        But it did just turn my tiny Campmobile into a virtual
                        cabin, adding 100 square feet of living space.

  Their profit margin must be shameful, but if
                        you are camping with more than 2 people I still think
it
                        is worth it.
  And if you still want a changing
                        cabin, just get the $35 Coleman shower. At least you
can
                        bathe in it as well.

Checked by AVG -
  www.avg.com