[tcb] Re: Bulli Gras

  • From: singlecabboy <sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:28:20 -0800 (PST)

I will definitely miss getting lost with you Julie .One of my best being lost
adventures ever was our mid night ride to Moody Gardens .

Paul Smith
The Zone
1961 Deluxe Single cab

From: Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, December 30, 2012, 10:01 AM

I never did put together my photo album for last year's Bulli Gras.  If I get
my act together hopefully I will have one to show you soon which will include
parade photos.

(And also put the address book together soon and get it to you folks that
happily volunteered your info. Sorry about the delay.)

As for doing the parade.  It was a cool experience.  I would do it again if
there is interest.  Honestly I would probably rather ride with someone and
throw beads and take photos rather than drive.  I still have my decorations
from last year and a power inverter thing so it is easy to power festive
lights.  Steve I have the big sparkly pin wheel that was left behind at the
campground last year. I will bring it.

But I also enjoy just hanging back at camp so I won't be upset if we decide not
to do it.

I will be happy either way.

On Dec 30, 2012, at 8:51 AM, Steve Chamberlain <steveraychamberlain@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Funny you should ask Sammie, Sharon and I were just discussing the parades so I
got on TCB and there is your inquire. Last year we participated in the Yaga
Parade along with Paul & Julie (I think) and it was a blast. The guy even
invited us back again.

So I am contacting him to reserve a spot and get all the details. Anyone
interested please let me know so that we can plan. You will need decorations,
lights and at least one box of beads per person. We can get the beads wholesale
at a reasonable price. There are several parades so if the Yaga parade is not
the weekend we plan to be there I will check on some others. Let me know if
there is any interest.

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, it will be happening.  Shirley reserved the sites.  Here is the info I
posted on the VW sites:

Bulli Gras will be happening February 1st - 3rd at Galveston Island State Park.
In case you have never been before this is a campout held during one of the
Mardi Gras weekends. Some folks just hang at the beach and other go into town
and enjoy the parades and the mayhem. The sites cost $25 per night plus the
park has a per person day use fee as well. (I believe the day use fee is $5 per
person per day unless somebody in your vehicle has a Texas State Park Pass and
then this fee is waived for everyone in the vehicle.) We usually have 2 Buses
per site. We have 10 sites reserved. If we have more than 20 Buses then we can
add a third Bus to each site for an additional $5 per night. Traditionally many
of us go out for dinner at Shrimp 'N Stuff on Friday night and on Saturday we
have a shrimp boil at the campground where everyone that wants to eat chips in
$5. I am not in charge of this happening this year, Shirley is. If you want to
reserve a spot you must
 contact Shirley at vwbuslady@xxxxxxxxxxxxx .
Just to make this clear, most people will be camping on Friday and Saturday
nights and heading home on Sunday so those are the nights we have the
reservations for. A few of us may get there on Thursday and a few may stay
Sunday night as well and getting sites for those nights should not be
difficult. There is a gate that gets locked at night, if you will be arriving
late you can call the park earlier in the day and ask for the code. The park
phone number is 409-737-1222 . Or if you know somebody who is already there at
the park, you can call them and get the gate code.
Just a heads up, this park was devastated by Hurricane Ike years ago and has
yet to completely recover. There are three camping loops on the Gulf side. Only
two of these loops have restrooms and showers. We will do our best to get our
sites all together in one of the loops with the restrooms and showers. If we
end up at the less desirable loop then it is a medium walk or really short
drive to the facilities.
This gathering is renowned for its inclement weather and despite this we go
back year after year and enjoy ourselves. Don't be scared.
And it is called BULLI Gras and I used the words Bus and Buses in the info
above but please know that our other VW friends are welcome too.

On Dec 30, 2012, at 4:56 AM, sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does anyone have a date for Bulli Gras this year? Or, are we going to do it?
Haven't heard anyone talking about it, and it is only about 5 weeks away.