[tcb] Re: Back in the USA!

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:41:08 -0500

What whine? Just 'cuz I love crisp bacon? I am not shamed for my love of Amurica, buddy. It's not my fault that they got gravel beaches.

This was a big trip. I had lost count of how many days we were gone. Jan said two weeks. We paid the parking and it was 8 days. We were both surprised.

A big part of the fun is the way things that you are used to at home is just a little off, a little different. I asked for a waffle for breakfast in Munich. It was right there on the menu, but the waitress was just disgusted. Nobody eats waffles for breakfast, they were for dessert at dinner. I showed her that it was on the menu and she pointed out that it was on the DINNER menu. She just refused to serve it. I was in Vienna at 6 AM and I went into a restaurant for breakfast and the woman there was just so happy to see me and that she knew what I wanted, "A big American breakfast", I said OK! She brought a waffle with bacon on it and covered with two eggs and broiled. It was one fused together thing. She was very proud and I told her it was perfect.

We spent 10 minutes trying to turn on the lights in our hotel room on one of out first nights this time and had to call the desk, none of the lights worked. Well, we found out that most of the hotels now require that you put your room key card in a slot by the door to work the lights. That way you can't leave the lights on when you are not there.

I almost got into a fistfight in London once because I had ordered a cup of coffee and I had been served very sweet coffee with cream. I said I just wanted coffee and the man got all pissed off, saying that he had served what I had asked for. Another guy calmed everyone down and explained that I needed to order coffee black. Well, now its coffee "Americano". Otherwise you will get espresso. But the coffee was always excellent everywhere I went. they have public machines now that grind the beans and make what ever kind you want, latte, cappuccino, macchiato, and you can see the beans get ground.

And here is the bus content; I saw not one Splitty or Bay. I saw both in advertising, but not on the road.

Boy, it's good to be home, but Jeez, it's HOT.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Julie Maroney" <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>