[tcb] Re: A Newby Introduction and plea for a part!

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:10:05 -0600

exactly what i was talking about. i have used one before. my uncle has a drag truck and he uses something similar to that with no problems why couldn't you on a bus?

From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: A Newby Introduction and plea for a part!
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:03:26 -0600

Busdepot.com has them on sale for 159.00 Bosch:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=GFP301

 or 99.00 for what I bet is China:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=043906091

I think Brian is talking about a "facet" pump like this one:

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=412010

You can get a "facet" pump at any auto parts store.
I think there some reasons not to use them.

(Terry or Larry may have what you need?)

Dan & Katrina Martin
1971 VW Bus
H.B.B.
T.C.B.

http://web.mac.com/danandkatrinamartin

On Dec 4, 2006, at 10:50 AM, sidecar wrote:

Hi Brian-

I was unaware that there was a different electric 35psi pump available from what I have now. Do you have a brand name I could look for?
Thanks for the info.

Mike Selvey
'79 Westy (Santa Fe Edition)

Brian Denning wrote:

why not get a block off plate for the spot the pump goes and buy and electric pump? it's cheaper easier and works just as good.

From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:41:25 -0800 (PST)

I just looked on ebay and a new pump is $79.00. I will look around by parts bins and see what I have. It should be the same as a Vanagon's

sidecar <sidecar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Hi all!

The good Doctor Sammy Smith turned me on to this list, and I am grateful
to have an even larger pool of VW people to turn to that I have at
present with the East Texas Vee-Dub Club.

I have a 1979 Westfalia, in Mexico Beige, which I acquired from eBay
after checking it out in Tyler. It had a BAD motor, so I put out the
big bucks to have the guys at Oak Hill rebuild the complete long  block,
and have subsequently added a rebuilt starter and alternator. I also
restored the complete fuel injection system (with used parts off a
runner), since I just couldn't seem to get the 2-Barrel progressive
Weber carb to work right. I hope to get another 100K out of it  (it had
109K when I got it). Happily, it spent most of its former life in
Colorado, so it is virtually rust-free. I try to drive it daily, and
just LOVE being up high and back behind the wheels of a Westy again!

When I was young and dumb (19), I had a 1966 Westy, which I  abused to
the point of having to replace an engine every year, commuting from
Austin to Dallas every weekend with my pedal to the metal to  visit my
then girlfriend (now wife). One day, I took a turn a little too fast
and laid the whole thing over! That pretty much totalled it,
cosmetically, and I finally sold it after the motor died again  for the
interior (which was flawless wood....if only the '79 was as nice!)
Well......33 years later, I've got another Westy! I wanted a split
window, but the prices seem to have creeped up a little on them  since
"back in the day"!

So anyway...here's my present predicament. I just got the oil  changed
up at Oak Hill, and while I was there I mentioned that I was  having a
TERRIBLE time trying to start this camper on cold mornings.  Daniel got
underneath the van and noticed I had a pinhole crack in my fuel  pump.
He wiped it off, and ten minutes later, it was slightly wet  again. So,
it's leaking a little, but that means my fuel system is not  holding the
35psi pressure overnight, thus causing me grief to try to start  in the
morning. Considering its location, I guess it's also a possible fire
hazard, so I quit driving it this weekend. It's my only personal
4-wheel transportation, so that's kinda crimping my style! I have a
very nice '72 Norton Commando, but it's a little chilly out there  for
motorcycling at the moment!

Does ANYONE out there have a used fuel pump for a 1979, 2000cc,
fuel-injected Westfalia? Or any idea where I could find one? Oak  Hill
has a nice brand new Bosch in a box, but this close to Christmas, I just
can't manage the price of a new one. I have two sets of numbers:
GFP301, and 0580 463 016.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance for any info.

PS: Later this week I am picking up a box of (4) used ECU's for this
model. Anyone wanna trade a pump for one?

Thanks again.

Mike Selvey
1514 East Austin St.
Nacogdoches, TX 75965
936-552-7439
sidecar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90- day trial! http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/ direct/01/?href=http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000001msn/ direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail

View Athlete?s Collections with Live Search http://sportmaps.live.com/index.html?source=hmemailtaglinenov06&FORM=MGAC01