[tcb] Re: 23 Window Update

  • From: James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:06:28 -0700 (PDT)

Well today I had him towed to Qualitat to check the valves and the timing since
I will be driving to the Ft. Worth show next week. Today I got an 8 volt
battery to put in the Bus. The 6 volt just wasn't cutting it. I think it was
cycled too many times over the past 3 years.
I would start it up for 3 days straight and drive it down the street and then
park it in the drive way then go out and it wouldn't have enough juice to turn
the motor.

Anyway I have seat brackets on the way, and my shipment from Bustoration
arrived yesterday with my flasher relay and the beauty rings Ronnie talked me
into as well as the firewall grommets.

It appears that my Bus is ready (or will be by the end of the week) for it's
first show next Saturday. Unfortunately it appears that this year will be the
end of 3 shows I would have attended next year. Ennis, Bug Swarm and I heard
this is the last Lockheed Martin show.

So how many shows are there gonna be next year? Buli Gras, Das Blumin Gut Show,
The Classic, Aircoolers' shows and Boerne?

BTW still looking for louvered vent trim and 2 original early hub caps!

From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 8:11 AM

James:  WW shows two 6V flashers for your bus, one original German and the
other their reproduction.  Unfortunately their web site shows both to be out of
stock, but I would give them a call.

From: James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, October 25, 2010, 9:10 PM

Yes, I evidently have some reproductions. Robb has some taller ones on the rear
on his '64 and they fit my rears but my caps don't fit his rears. He also has
reproductions on the front. The PO must have been able to find only 2
originals.It appears tha tthe lip is taller on the originals than the repros
which is why they are hitting the nut

It turns out that Ronnie didn't update his web site - he is also out of 6v
flasher relays. He told me to get one from a tractor supply and re-wire it.
Doers anyone know what he is talking about? Seems like staying 6v is more of a
PITA that I thought it would be!

James

From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 11:18 AM

James:  You must have some repop caps.  Original caps for busses and all other
VWs are the same from way back there, like from 1950 on for all of the wide 5
wheels.  Most of the repops are pretty poor quality, not necessarily to the
correct shape, poor chrome, very light-weight metal, holes for hub-cap puller
are too small, and I have even seen some that did not have the VW emblem
stamped properly.  Me thinks you have some repop caps.  Get an original and try
to put it on there.  I bet it fits.  Assuming you have original 15" bus wheels
on there.

From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 9:38 AM

James:  Don't understand the hubcap issue.  Unless they are repop hubcaps they
should fit.  If you are running 15" stock bus wheels original stock hubcaps
should fit just fine even if you are running a later big nut axle tranny.
There is not really any such thing as late and early hubcaps for a bus.