[tbilisimakerspace] Oxwall vs Buddypress vs phpBB (was: Re: Oxwall vs Buddypress)

  • From: Sebastian Henschel <sebastian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tbilisimakerspace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:42:03 +0400

hello Giorgi et al...

On 13 March 2012 17:13, Giorgi Kandelaki <kandelakig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looked at it, and wrote to you there.
>
> With the first look I liked buddypress more. But it also has some good
> features.
>
> But, overall, I think both are overkill for our purposes. We don't need this
> huge social-network-like sites, with all it's cool gadgets.

hey, you are talking to generation facebook here. :) personally i'm
fine with this mailing-list, but a few people wanted a few more
features (for good reasons).

> I think, we need just two simple things:
>
> Web site - for promotional purpose
> With information about TOL. News (something like blog). Contact information.

> Communication tool - alternative to this mailing list, cause folks don't
> like it
> For me, something like Google Groups would be perfect, but I understand your
> concerns about "data liberation"

one complaint some people had was too much traffic. a forum would
compartmentalise the communication and you can subscribe to/read the
boards you are most interested in.

> BTW, if I suggest the way to export content from Google Groups, would you
> consider it as an alternative?

that would be good. what about identity? i know that TI Georgia is
using gmail, but the domain used is transparency.ge - would something
similar be possible for TOL?

afaik Google Groups is a fancy-looking mailing-list, as long as you
are not part of the googleverse. it wouldn't help against the
perception of too much traffic. unless you decide to have several
lists, but that might be too much separation already.

> Or may be we can install only standalone forum? like phpBB or something
> similar?

i'm glad you asked for it, because that would have been my non-social
network suggestion:
http://tbilisimakerspace.kodeaffe.de/phpBB3/

i guess that should suffice for alternatives: we should choose one of
these three, unless somebody has an urgent desire to propose something
else.
frankly, i have no preference: all three of them are working - the
bane of consumerism. :)
the integration of bbpress (forum) into buddypress seems a bit dodgy.
otherwise it looks a bit less cluttered / overwhelming than oxwall.
phpBB will probably be the most advanced in offering forum features,
while the others might make things look more vibrant, with activity
streams, walls, etc.

a few people have signed up to buddypress / oxwall, i haven't heard
much negative feedback on either of them. we will see how many will be
interested in having a look at phpbb.

i propose to reach a decision until saturday eve and maybe the domain
tbilisiopenlabs.ge will be ready until then. Dato?

David, do you want to create a poll like the one you had made for the
name? i guess just the three choices 'buddypress', 'oxwall', 'phpbb'
would suffice, nothing more sophisticated.

bye,
 Sebastian

--
Sebastian Henschel
Lead Developer

Transparency International Georgia
„საერთაშორისო გამჭვირვალობა - საქართველო“
26 Rustaveli Ave.
0108 Tbilisi, Georgia
Tel: (995 32) 292 14 03; 293 21 29
Fax: (995 32) 292 02 51