[tas-list] Re: Transit of Venus

  • From: Alice <few_2001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tas-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TAS Students <tas-student@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 14:16:18 -0700

Ack....mid eclipse is 18 27 ....so 6:27 not 5 as I said in my previous email

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G

Alice Few <few_2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Finally!  We have confirmation from the parks folks... This is what I would
like to recommend we put out on the calendar and website:
John, should we have our members show up at 1pm??  I will be out of town for
the weekend so John if you could be the key person for questions until I get
back that would be great!

At 3:05:50 p.m. June 5 Venus begins its rare transit across the face of the
Sun. At 5:27 the planet will be half-way across, and by sunset at 9:04 p.m.,
will have nearly completed its journey. Venus transit will not happen again
until December 11, 2117 so this is truly a once in a lifetime event!

The Tacoma Astronomical Society is inviting the public to watch this event
through our solar telescopes at Chambers Creek Park's Central Meadow adjacent
to the Cambers Bay Golf Course in west University Place, weather permitting.
Viewing begins at 3pm and will end when the park closes at sunset, weather
permitting.

Remember: Never look at the Sun directly. You must have a proper filter to
protect your eyes. We will have a kid friendly solar projection scope available
allowing everyone to draw their own Venus transit image!

For more information and up to the minute reports visit our website at
www.tas-online.org