[tas-list] Re: Cub Scouts to visit the Keck

  • From: Ken Slavens <astroken@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tas-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:33:18 -0700

I'm there. Just tell me what you need Alice.

Ken Slavens

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:07:15 -0700
From: few_2001@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tas-list] Cub Scouts to visit the Keck
To: tas-student@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; tas-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
tas-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking for some volunteers for Monday evening!

We will be hosting a Cub Scout Pack from DuPont at the Keck Observatory on
Monday evening.  I have reserved 2 rooms in Olsen Auditorium so we can set up
different stations for their Cub Scout Astronomy Beltloop (and as a rainy day
back up) and need help there and at the observatory.

I would like to have ~ 3 people outside at the observatory helping with "how to
focus binoculars and telescopes" either with your scope or one of the college
scopes.  If it rains we will stay in the downstairs part of the Keck and do the
binocular activity out the window and door then let them tour the big scope
with the dome closed.

I need at least one person to help with the paper tape scale of the solar
system (I'll supply the materials) over
 in Olsen
and at least one person to run the vocabulary game (I'll supply the materials
and directions) also over in Olsen.

If you have never volunteered at one of our Cub Scout beltloop events come give
it a try!  I will try and make sure I can partner you up with someone who has
done the activity.

DuPoint Cub Scout Belt loop activity
Monday, October 25th  6:00pm - ~9:00pm

Set up:  Meet at the Keck at 6:00pm
Program begins in Olsen 103 at 6:30pm
Rotations run from 7pm to 8pm with additional viewing afterward

Questions?  Give Alice a call at 253-653-1402.

Thanks in advance!
Alice