[talks-uk] Re: Selling phones with Talks installed

  • From: Georgina Joyce <r2gl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: talks-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:55:05 +0100

Hi

Interesting how noone has also posed the idea that maybe it's a good
promotional tool.  Think about it, someone buys a second-hand phone with
talks installed.  After the seller has transfered there licence over to
there new replacement phone.  The buyer of the second-hand phone, cannot
upgrade or transfer it across to another phone.  So when a hard reset is
made or the phone dies, that's the end of that restricted to upgrade
copy of talks.

When a user has this level of access.  I'm sure that when they can
afford their own licence on a new phone, that's what they'll do.  Noone
can guess how long a second-hand phone will last.  These products are
not built to last but to die after a few years.

--
Gena

four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Richard Matthew Stallman