[tabi] your future sidewalks

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:27:32 -0400

Hi all,

Right now a working group is deciding what projects would receive money from
the proposed county penny sales tax, which I believe will be voted on in the
fall.  Star Metro and adding sidewalks throughout the city are two first
priority proposed uses of this money.  However, in todays paper is an
article describing how some land developers are applying to the county to
receive 13 million dollars of this money to allow them to build a
neighborhood called Wilaunee plantation (as a loan, they say they will pay
it back over the next X number of years).

There are two problems I see with this: first is that this money would have
to come from the current list of top priority projects, and second, there's
always the chance that just as with Southwood, this development will run
into financial difficulties and won't be able to pay back the loan.

If for no other reason than Star Metro and the side walks, I urge everyone
to contact the county commission and let them know that private land
developers should use the normal means for raising money for speculative
developments, and we don't want our tax dollars to be used for this; we
especially don't want them taken from other projects which would benefit the
poor of the county, to help the rich obtain their houses just slightly
cheaper.

Please write.

Chip and Allison