[tabi] Re: why so many pedestrian accidents; was Re: pedestrian/auto accident report yesterday

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:26:39 -0400

Darla,

Even when the driver does stop, I think with a right on red they tend to
look left and drive right (without ever looking for a pedestrian), and I
don't think the red-light cameras will do much for this (unless the
public is made to believe the cameras are recording everything that
happens at an intersection for later analysis in accident
investigations).  I think this would be a really useful bit of
disinformation for us to propagate, but I don't see how we could do it
effectively.

Chip

------------------------------

Chip Orange
Database Administrator
Florida Public Service Commission

Chip.Orange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Behalf
>Of Darla J. Rogers
>Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 3:44 PM
>To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [tabi] Re: why so many pedestrian accidents; was Re:
pedestrian/auto
>accident report yesterday
>
>Dea Chip,
>
>All of the above:  Some people, I believe, actually don't know, or if
they
>do, they don't care, that right on red" does not mean you can make that
turn
>without stopping.  I am certain many of you have experienced this
>phenomena.
>
>Maybe the red light cameras will help?
>Darla

pedestrian/auto
>accident report yesterday
>

>> I'm curious what local blind pedestrians think:  is this number of
>> pedestrian-related accidents just what's normal?  Or is it high
because
>> law enforcement aren't doing their job in prosecuting and publicizing
>> it, when a pedestrian is hurt?  Or are they doing their job well
enough,
>> and we've just got a lot of bad, distracted, drivers out there?
>> Possibly made worse by allowing things like rights on red?
>>
>> Chip

>> Chip Orange
>> Database Administrator
>> Florida Public Service Commission
>>
>> Chip.Orange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> (850) 413-6314
>>
>> (Any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
>> necessarily reflect those of the Florida Public Service Commission.)

Tallahassee