[tabi] who has a GPS?

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 22:26:04 -0400

hi all,

since I mentioned the subject of personal gps navigation in a prior message,
I'm curious to know if you have a gps unit for navigation?

would you please post your answer here, and let me know if your type is
capable of importing and/or exporting a file of points of interest?  I would
think the trekker is not, but probably everything else is?

I was wondering about all of us building up a database of points of interest
for the Tallahassee area (such as the bus stops I mentioned).

I'd be willing to write any conversion programs needed to convert from one
unit's file format to another, and then I could compile our list in each
format, and post it on the TABI web page.  of course I know that various
manufacturers have programs in place to allow you to contribute or download
from their central system, but that's usually just for that type of gps (or
so I believe anyway).

It seems likely that the loadstone users will have the most points of
interest to start with (I mean, starting by downloading their POI file for
the Tally area) because that's all Loadstone is; no street maps, just points
of interest.

I'd like to see us build up a really useful picture of Tallahassee; then, we
could even have it available for people new to town; it would give them a
kind of instant orientation.  And not just a giant database, but smaller
files of say just the bus stops, or just government buildings, etc., to help
make it easier to manage getting just what you need.  maybe we could also
add intersections with audible signals so someone walking would know whether
to search for the button or not?

so please answer up, and let me know if you think this is a good and useful
idea, and if you have any ideas as to how we could make it more useful?