[tabi] touch-screens that you can feel coming soon!

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 15:24:50 -0400

A touchscreen with keys that rise and disappear

If you've ever followed up a garbled text with "Damn You, Autocorrect,"
<http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/>  some high-tech help might be on
the way.

A California company says it's created technology that could make
keyboard keys rise out of the touchscreen on a smartphone, tablet or
other device, then disappear when you were done with them.

Tactus <http://www.tactustechnology.com/index.html> Technology
<http://www.tactustechnology.com/index.html>  this week demoed Tactile
Layer, a product that uses haptics
<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/tag/haptics/> , or a touch-based interface,
to make patterns or shapes rise and recede on a regular touchscreen.

The company says its panel, which it displayed on a prototype Android
tablet at this week's Society for Information Display showcase in
Boston, is "the world's first deformable tactile surface."

"The origin of Tactus goes back to 2007," said CEO Craig Ciesla in a
video <http://vimeo.com/43431035> . "Looking at the iPhone and all the
elegance of that user interface, I also realized that I like my
BlackBerry with the buttons ... . As human beings, we really want to be
able to feel things; we really want that tactility."

The layer is flat and transparent and wouldn't add any thickness to a
gadget since it would replace a layer that already exists, Tactus says.

For tech consumers, devices that could benefit from the system include
smartphones, tablets, e-readers, gaming devices and remote controls, the
company says. But it also has potential in automobiles, medical devices
and personal navigation systems, they say.

Tactus has partnered with Touch Revolution, a touchscreen manufacturer.
The first Tactus products will be available by mid-2013, Ciesla said.