[tabi] Re: to all GPS users

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:17:44 -0400

Hi Charles,

Well, I don't own any of them, and am not in a position to offer more than
general info.  I'm writing my own laptop GPS nav system as a hobby though,
and will let everyone know when it's ready (if ever).

I'd say Liz, because her lab is likely to own one of each, and Robert
because he sells them, are likely to know more about the accessible
offerings.

Having warned you, you have 3 choices which you can think about:

if you have a smart phone already, I'm guessing one of the systems for the
phones (google on Geo Mobile or WayFinder for instance), is likely to be the
cheapest.  I would buy an external bluetooth gps receiver, as the ones
built-into phones are known for not being as sensitive or as accurate.

if you don't own a phone, or you get some other advice that says they're
hard to use or something, then next would be the Trekker, and about the same
price if you own a note taker already, then one of the Sendero add-ons for
note takers (I think it's available for the GW note taker, the humanware
one, and I think one from FS as well).

If you don't own the note taker, and you were wanting one anyway, then this
could be your reason to get it.  but if you don't own one, and aren't going
to buy one, then the Trekker is what's left.

I have the vague feeling that the trekker and the phone-based ones aren't as
easy to use as the note-taker based ones.  One of the phone-based systems,
WayFinder Access, isn't from Sendero, and doesn't get nearly as good
feedback about it.  I think every other offering may be from Sendero except
for the Trekker.

I'm pretty sure Access World and such like publications have done a round-up
review of them all by now.  I'll see if I can find a link and post it here.

 hth,