[tabi] to all GPS users

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:47:43 -0400

Hi al,

I have spent a small amount of time on my project to create gps
databases of Tallahassee locations.  I didn't spend much because I
didn't hear back from any GPS owner except Robert, even though I know
several people who own them.

In any case, what I've turned up in my brief search is a GPS database of
the FSU campus, it's buildings, with each entrance indicated separately,
it's bus stops (and the routes indicated which make use of that stop),
and the businesses located in and around campus.  Also, the C.K. Steel
plaza and it's various gates is listed in this database.

I've found a separate database of all the street intersections in and
around Leon County.  I'm not sure how useful this one will be, as I'd
expect any GPS nav system (other than Loadstone) to be able to tell you
this information from it's map data.

Unfortunately, I didn't turn up any city bus data, and didn't get any
response from the StarMetro email address I had when I wrote them and
asked about it. I was wondering if TCB or NFB had someone who interfaced
with StarMetro, and if so, would you be willing to ask them about route
and stop GPS data?

I also have access to a huge database of points of interest, broken down
by category, if there's something in particular (such as ATM locations
for instance), that people would feel to be particularly useful.  I'd
have to write a program to create such a list, but I'd be willing to
upon request.

so, I'll ask once again, any GPS users out there interested in what I've
found, or even better, interested in mapping bus stops or other places
you go and sending me the coordinants?  How about the O&M instructors at
the lighthouse or DBS, would you be willing to take the GPS units along
on lessons and send me the resulting points you've marked?

I'd like to be able to compile these into formats loadable by whatever
systems we have here in town, and put them on the TABI resource page for
downloading.

so, please let me hear from you, what type of system you use, and
whether you want anything I've mentioned or would be willing to
contribute points.

thanks.

Chip

Chip Orange