[tabi] Re: to all D-link router owners

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 22:18:00 -0400

Hi Dave,

I did, and here's what I wrote in case it's a start for anyone else:

Dear Sirs:

I am writing to make you aware of a technical problem/design issue, which
prevents people who are blind from using your routers, and any other
products which have a web configuration option.

I came upon the problem when I went to upgrade the firmware on my D-link Dir
655 to version 1.31.  I am blind, and D-link has decided to add to the login
screen in this release, an option known as "CAPTCHA".  This is the display
of distorted letters and numbers which the user must type into an edit box
in order to log in.

Such options are completely unusable by someone who cannot see, and who
depends upon talking software to read the screen to them (it cannot read
these graphical images).  Most responsible web designers, in order to make
their product compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and with
the guidelines of the W3C, will add an "audio" option, which will speak
aloud these characters, when it's necessary to have them typed into a
screen.  Unfortunately, the firmware I just installed did not include such
an option, and I was unable to login after installation.

Yes, I do realize that after a successful login this feature can be
disabled, but that did not help me today, when I could not log in.

I'd like to suggest that you either include an audible option for the
speaking of these CAPTCHA letters, or, have the default set to "off", and
then allow sighted users to enable it if they desire.  You have many such
options which prompt the user to enable them after a successful login, and
there is no security risk in having the default begin at "off".

I sincerely hope a slight change in your development policies can solve this
problem; I would not like to see it lead to a complaint filed with the FTC
for violation of the ADA.

thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Dexter "Chip" Orange
3717 Bobbin Brook Circle
Tallahassee, FL  32312

850-413-6314