[tabi] the "Welcome" message for TABI

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 18:54:50 -0400

Hi all,

I have updated the TABI welcome message which is sent to new subscribers;
and so I am also posting the updated message below:

Welcome to TABI!

(the Tallahassee Area Blindness Issues mailing list).

This list is designed specifically to support those who are visually
impaired, or are involved with the visually impaired, of the Tallahassee
Florida region.  Discussions on the list should be relevant to blindness
and/or issues specific to this region.  there are many other lists for
general political, religious, or technology related discussions.

If you want to send a message to the entire list you should send it to the
address tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you reply to a message on the list your reply will automatically be sent
to the entire list; if you want to send your reply privately to the person
who wrote a message on the list, you will need to choose "forward" in your
email package, and enter their address in the "to" field.

It is strongly encouraged that you send such short messages as "thank you"
or "I agree" and so on to the individual directly, and not to the entire
list.

It's important, as a person living in this area and who has a visual
impairment or works with those who do, to be a member of this list.
However, if you'd rather not be

subscribed, feel free to unsubscribe through the web interface, or by
sending email to the following address:

tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject line.

There are very few  rules for the list:

posted to the list. This especially means questions or criticism regarding
how the list is run, "what someone else is posting and why I don't like it",
etc.

* observe the guidelines as to what subjects are allowed for posts on this
list (don't repost jokes, warnings about the latest virus attacks,
controversial subjects such as politics or religion, etc.); and do try to
make posts of interest especially to the visually impaired community.

* As discussions naturally move from one topic to another, try *please* to
alter the subject line as appropriate.

* Always be polite and professional to everyone, especially when
disagreeing.  Speak to the point and not to the person to help keep
disagreements from getting out of hand. Remember that it's some times
necessary to "agree to disagree" in order to keep from ending up in a loop
where you're simply repeating previously posted information/opinions.  If
you wish to continue a discussion which is going beyond a few posts and
replies, or becoming heated, move it "off list".

You are encouraged not  to be just a "lirker": (never adding any useful
information, but only depending on others to do all the posting).

Please do us all a favor and spread the word about TABI to others who may be
interested.  thank you.

Chip Orange

acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx