[tabi] Re: publix web site goes to shoplocal.com good or bad

  • From: "Blackjack" <misterblackjack2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:40:59 -0400

This is great info.

-----Original Message-----
From: tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Easy Talk
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:55 PM
To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tabi] publix web site goes to shoplocal.com good or bad

Well when I got back home yesterday from home coming at FSB, Sila and I
needed to go to publix to pick up a few things so I decided to go to there
website which I use on a weekly bases to see what was on sale. I have worked
with there marketing department about three years ago when it all of a
sudden wasn't accessible.  I used the classic version which worked very
well.  Well to my surprise when I loaded the page, it was totally different
and didn't appear to be accessible at all.  I spent about an hour trying to
figure it out and just gave up and we went to the store and got the few
things we needed.  However this put me in a bad mood since I had spent a
good deal of time working with publix in the past.
This afternoon, I decided to look at the site once more.  By the way it is
As my subject says publix goes shoplocal.com good or bad! well my
experiences with shoplocal.com haven't been the best but apparently some
things have changed for the better or for at least the publix part.
Shoplocal.com is a large internet advertising company on the web that
handles chain and private advertising for your community.
When I first went to the new publix page there were a lot of on clicks on
the page and a few links that certainly didn't get me to where I wanted to
be.  After examining the page from the top, I found text that said "enhanced
accessibility mode on using flash mode and just below that was a link to
switch to html mode for better accessibility and bingo it worked
I read the accessibility info and found it amusing how the latest
accessibility test had been with Jaws V9.0 and listed all the jaws commands
regarding how to bring up a list of links by pressing insert F-6 and the
accelerator keys for navigating the various heading levels supported by
After setting my zip code and selecting my store, I was able to move around
the page and Window-eyes read the links that were in the list automatically.
For instance when you get to the weekly add the default is to view by
department such as baby care buy one get one free, bakery ect.  As the links
are read, you are also told how many items are on sale.  When you press
enter on a department link Window-eyes automatically starts reading the item
name and price.  I just press any key to stop the speech and use down arrow
to start reading the list of items from the top.  Pressing alt-left arrow
takes you back to the list of department links at the location you were
prior Pressing enter on the item links reads a description.  I was able to
open coupon links and find the print button.
Once you have selected your store and selected the weekly add link, just
save it to your favorites by default the link will be  Publix weekly add.
When you go to that link, you will be on the add page so you only have to go
through the selection process once.
I guess I will have to see if shoplocal has done the same for there main
site, I think the site is shoplocal.com
 for that department