[tabi] Re: orientation of Braille on Starmetro signs

  • From: Erica <ericamccaul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:02:07 -0400 (EDT)

        I understand the concern some of you, like Chip, might harbor about the
orientation of Braille on the placards.
   In addition to my concurring with the replies which have already been posted
(about the repeated opportunities which were offered to view sample placards
and/or provide input), I would like to add a pragmatic consideration with which
some of you might not be aware:
   Because the Braille signs include BOTH the route name(s) (which can be
either letters (for daytime routes) OR numbers (for night/Sunday routes), AND
the letters on top of each other (as Chip prefers) would have required a wider
strip, since each character would have had to be preceded by either a number
sign or letter sign.
   Unfortunately, placard width/horizontal space was quite limited because at
the time the bus stop poles were purchased-- long, LONG before anyone even
considered the "luxury" of Braille signage-- a unique octagonal pole shape was
selected. This in itself was, in my opinion, a very large concession to those
who needed tactile cues in locating the bus stops.
   Given that we are the FIRST community in the COUNTRY to include Braille
signage (which also includes tactile large print), I think we got it fairly
close to FABULOUS! Perhaps other communities will choose to go about it
differently. However, as Lynda pointed out, she consulted with already
established standards before offering her input.
   In the meantime, I remain very proud, indeed, to know that individuals CAN
effect positive change. And, frankly, having to turn your hand sideways to read
the Braille is far superior to standing at a pole wandering WHEN a bus will
come by... and WHICH ONE(s).
   It would be especially appropriate, I think, to thank the individuals who
were key in making this accessibility a reality: John Plescow and Lynda Jones,
Jay Townsend, and Brian Waterman, in particular.
   Respectfully,
   Erica McCaul