[tabi] Re: nova2010 plan

  • From: "Barbara Lineberry" <bkblpp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:31:00 -0400

Robert,

What a great piece you posted.  It all makes sense to me.  For four years,
during the time I was working at IB (which has changed its name twice since
then), I was the disabled person's rep on the TD council for both Madison and
Hamilton Counties.  I also, after retiring from IB, was on the Mayor's
Committee for the Disabled (it may have been called differently then).  But in
all instances it didn't make a difference in what was eventually decided.  I
did speak up.  And I'd been in the Commissioner's Chambers in City Hall several
times.  Not recently.  And I was on  the 22nd floor of the Capital when the ADA
was passed, and knew immediately that it would be at least 25 years before
"temporarily-abled" people would start to understand what was the law and would
fight it with all they had.

I agree completely that "mobility not accessibility" is an outrageously stupid
thing to say.  Mobility is getting harder for me so I opt out of more things.
But my heart is there for all of us.  Thank you and William and Chip and so
many others who have continued the fight.

The words of two songs come to mind for our situation.  They had different
original meanings but are good for this.  "We Shall Overcome" and "When will
they ever learn?"

Barbara