[tabi] nls simple player early evaluation

  • From: "Lynn Evans" <evans-lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TABI@xxxxxxxxxx>, <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:19:44 -0400

Hello everyone:

To respond to Chips inquiry about what flavor of player, simple or advanced:

You may want to contact reader services in Daytona to let them know what
machine you prefer. Don't just sit there and see what shows up in your mailbox,
be proactive. Below is the link to the descriptions for the new players if you
haven't read about them before.
http://www.loc.gov/nls/businessplan/playerdescription.html

I have copied the information below from emails I have received about the test
and players. I believe it to be accurate.

The test of the new NLS digital players has begun.
It seems eight states will be testing the player; Florida, Texas, California.

This is from David Andrews; (David monitors several NFB mailing list)

There are 8 pre-launch states that are getting 500 machines each,
just to make sure there are no show stoppers.  I can't remember them
all, I know Iowa, Missouri, Florida, Texas I think, Maine I think,
and I can't remember the rest.  The test goes through mid July, and
it is expected that Libraries will start getting machines by late
July, early/mid august as long as no problems or hold ups.

Dave

About the cartridges: (From Lloyd Rasmussen an NLS employee)

Initially we thought that cartridges might be 128, 256 or 512 MB in
size.  The ANSI/NISO standard provides a mechanism for splitting a book
onto more than one disc or cartridge, and our player supports this
mechanism.  But now our cartridges are going to be 1 GB in size at first,
and when we come upon any books more than about 93 hours long, we plan to
use higher-capacity cartridges.  So the rule will hold:  One ZIP file
extracted to the root directory of one cartridge.

For information on the pre-launch test and other current happenings, go to
   http://www.loc.gov/nls/newsletters/flash/
and read the current issue of our Flash newsletter.

Strictly my editorial opinion on the simple player:

Keep in mind as you read this, I have been reading one book for about 15 hours
of use.

To compare the two new NLS digital players to anything on the market today is
well, simply not a fair comparison.  Please keep in mind the players are for
library patrons with a wide range of skill levels and abilities. Patrons may
have arthritic hands or no hands at all wile using a mouth stick.

I have used both simple and advanced players. They are both simple to use with
good sound quality coming from the on board speaker.

Books will be on cartridges. As stated earlier one cartridge per book. The
cartridge is the size of an audio cassette with the Braille and ext label on
the top...  The cartridge only fits in the player one way.

When the power is on: Plugging the cartridge into the player will provide the
following information about the book; book title, position in the book that
includes chapter number and title, time remaining in the book and battery life.

When the book cartridge is in the player and power is turned on the user gets
the same information as above.

For the advanced user of both simple and advanced players

I have been told by email that a thumb drive with a book in the root of the
drive (not in a folder) can be played by plugging the thumb drive into the USB
port of the player. A card reader with book on the flash card can be read the
same way.

I would like to make myself available to answer your questions on or off list,
phone or smoke signal. Ok no smoke signals. All I ask is that you read the
description of the players at the link above. I just don't want to get any
questions like is it bigger than a bread box. No it isn't. It is about half the
size of the four track cassette player and not as thick.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Lynn
Email evans-lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx
Ip voice mailbox: 850 364 8211