[tabi] Re: my object to Nova 2010

Lynn,

probably it's because I'm physically too ill; riding in a car is
uncomfortable for me, and riding in a bus is both even less comfortable and
a longer ride.

walking is too, and the nearest bus stop would be a mile from my house, and
I would have to walk along a road with no sidewalk, and a ditch on each
side.  this road has several hills which block you from the cars sight until
they're right upon you (maybe literally).

and now, the third reason, because we did look into a park-and-ride, is
because it takes so long; 1.5 hours compared to 20 minutes.

Chip

 

-----Original Message-----
From: tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Lynn Evans
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:07 PM
To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tabi] Re: my object to Nova 2010

If you are not riding the bus now please tell us why and drop a line to Star
Metro to let them know what it will take to get you on the bus.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:36 PM
Subject: [tabi] Re: my object to Nova 2010


> btw, I would like to hear from you (and many others), as to what your
> thoughts are so far, on this topic.  there are far too many people staying
> silent.  if you're staying silent because you think this doesn't effect 
> you,
> then please say so, but please be part of the conversation.
>
> Chip
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On 
> Behalf
> Of Denyece Roberts MSW
> Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:18 PM
> To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [tabi] Re: my object to Nova 2010
>
> I think you all should keep your arguments off this list, and just stick
> with the topic at hand.  If you got to fight about it fight it out 
> somewhere
> else. Everyone is entitled to speak their minds as long as it doesn't 
> offend
> anyone else.  When that happens get their email address and deal with it
> there. You ask for feed back so when someone gives you their opinion 
> that's
> it just their opinion. You want hear from me again unless it is  topic
> related.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:44 PM
> Subject: [tabi] Re: my object to Nova 2010
>
>
>> Hi William,
>>
>> you've seen Robert's reply, and I'm afraid he's right on every point.
>>
>> I know there's history between you two however, and I'm concerned you
>> won't listen to him, so let me explain why I disagree with you:
>>
>> first, no, no one can "guarantee" my safety; however, that's no reason
>> not to plan.  if we followed that train of thought everywhere it lead
>> us, we wouldn't bother with red lights, or safety belts, or air bags,
>> or any other type of planning in which we try to avert disaster.
>>
>> you need to understand my objection wasn't to the grid system; in my
>> opinion it's not even worth discussing until we first plan for safety
>> of all passengers.  if StarMetro can do that, then we may have a grid
>> system after all; but, they need to try first.  if they didn't plan
>> for safety then they wouldn't bother hiring well-trained drivers to
>> drive the buses, they'd just let anyone who wanted do so; safety is
>> something they *must* consider every day.
>>
>> Robert has addressed the point about being a "trouble maker"; no more
>> need be said on that.
>>
>> as for being a helpless minority who are at the mercy of a crushing,
>> overwhelming, majority: I have to say that's such a shocking attitude
>> that I don't quite know where to begin.  I think it's sufficient to
>> say that our society has numerous laws designed to protect helpless
>> minorities; they're specifically in place so that these helpless
>> minorities don't have to roll-over and just say "yes sir" and "no sir"
>> out of fear for what will happen otherwise.  I'm thinking of laws to
>> protect against rape; against being a battered wife; and against
>> racial discrimination just to name a few.
>> no one would dare tell a woman not to make trouble about her safety
>> because she's a minority and something might happen to her if she
>> does.
>>
>> There's nothing wrong with your working with StarMetro, don't get me
>> wrong; but given the message you just wrote, it sounds like you've
>> completely forgotten who you're representing when you're working with
>> StarMetro; it's blind people who have a wide range of opinions.
>>
>> And finally, this is the second time you or Sally have made a
>> reference to my not riding the buses, and implied somehow that
>> therefore, I'm not entitled to an opinion.  I'd like to point out that
>> I have ridden the buses in the past, and I have an opinion now for the
>> same reason I write free software, or operate tabi, or donate many
>> hours a week to helping blind people with computer problems.  in each
>> and every case it's a desire to help blind people of all varieties
>> along with their lives.  I have an opinion on the plans for the bus
>> system out of concern for those who may be injured, and who in my
>> opinion weren't being spoken up for.
>>
>> And finally, if you'll get over being angry you'll see my remarks
>> weren't designed to stop nova 2010, but just to modify one part of it
>> while it's in the planning stage, and before we have an injury to make
>> us do so.  the city planner whom I spoke with and I had several ideas
>> as to how that might be done, and still go forward.  and my comments
>> were only going to the city commission if the issue was not worked out
>> in the next few months; that's exactly why they are having listening
>> sessions right now, to try and do that.
>>
>> so, I conclude with I deny that I'm a trouble maker, I think I'm a
>> planner.
>>
>> Chip
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
>> Behalf Of blindwilly
>> Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 7:58 AM
>> To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: [tabi] Re: my object to Nova 2010
>>
>> Chip,
>>
>> Did you ever think that the city commissioners can never guarantee your
>> safety.   Even sighted pedestrians and drivers have accidents.   There 
>> are
>> only two audible crossings now, but they are going to try to address the
>> rest and we will never get there if we don't start.   Your refusal to
>> consider or compromise means we will never get any where.
>>
>> We are not helpless and we don't need the entire world to change just to
>> guarantee our safety.   I know who walks the streets and who never sets
>> foot
>> on the sidewalk.   I am tired of this bashing that is going to build a
>> wall
>> between us and them.   We need to work with them or they will do what 
>> they
>> want and we will be labeled as trouble makers and we will be left
>> behind, because they are the powerful majority and we are not.
>>
>> I have been trying to be reasonable and they are listening to us by
>> coming to our TCB meeting and to the Light House, but if we go in
>> there with guns blazing, then we are going to loose our position of
> reason.
>>
>> William
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Chip Orange <mailto:Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 11:54 AM
>> Subject: [tabi] my object to Nova 2010
>>
>> hi all,
>>
>> I spoke with a StarMetro planner yesterday, and he said only 2
>> intersections of the possible 41 proposed for transfer points,
>> currently have audible signals. (I think Lynn did tell us that).
>>
>>
>>
>> perhaps, just perhaps, they'll be able to add 10, even 20, in the next
>> year, but by no means all of them will get audible signals.
>>
>> the point I made to him, and the one I intend to make to the city
>> commission unless there is a dramatic change in the plan, is that no
>> intersection, even with an audible signal, is safe for a blind person
>> to cross. audible signals only make it somewhat safer, but many of our
> local
>> blind residents can testify about being hit.   I don't think even our
>> best,
>> most skillful, independent travelers, can say that crossing an
>> intersection such as many of those proposed by StarMetro is safe; and,
>> a number of our blind residents do not fall into the class of our
>> "most skillful"
>> independent travelers.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> I intend to urge the city commission to deny the entire plan until the
>> safety of disable riders can be assured by never requiring a transfer
>> through an intersection; StarMetro has got to be forced to come up
>> with another way to handle transfers.
>>
>> I know others of you have other objections to the plan, and I've heard
>> and agree with a lot of them, but this is to me, the single really
>> good one, which is good enough to warrant the city commission stopping
>> implementation until it is worked out.
>>
>>
>>
>> I do support other objections which have been raised, including the
>> one I just mentioned that with all the bus stops moving to new
>> locations, they are going to be hard to find, and that the routes and
>> the location of stops require a lot of walking at times, which itself
>> is also unsafe.  but when I write the commission after the plan is
>> submitted to them, I am only going to focus on the safety issue, as I
>> think it's the most important, and I don't want to overwhelm them in
>> my letter with les important objections.
>>
>>
>>
>> I hope all of you will consider writing to the city commission, but
>> not until the plan has been submitted to them.  any letters before
>> then are evidently just forwarded to StarMetro, without engaging the
>> commissioners'
>> attention.
>>
>>
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Chip
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Chip Orange
>> Database Administrator
>> Florida Public Service Commission
>>
>> Chip.Orange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> (850) 413-6314
>>
>> (Any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
>> necessarily reflect those of the Florida Public Service Commission.)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Check out the TABI resource web page at
>> http://acorange.home.comcast.net/TABI
>> and please make suggestions for new material.
>>
>>
>>
>> if you'd like to unsubscribe you can do so through the freelists.org
>> web interface, or by sending an email to the address
>> tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.
>
>
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
>
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 9.0.698 / Virus Database: 270.14.53/2486 - Release Date: 11/07/09
> 02:38:00
>
> Check out the TABI resource web page at
> http://acorange.home.comcast.net/TABI
> and please make suggestions for new material.
>
>
>
> if you'd like to unsubscribe you can do so through the freelists.org web
> interface, or by sending an email to the address 
> tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.
>
> Check out the TABI resource web page at 
> http://acorange.home.comcast.net/TABI
> and please make suggestions for new material.
>
>
>
> if you'd like to unsubscribe you can do so through the freelists.org web 
> interface, or by sending an email to the address 
> tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject. 

Check out the TABI resource web page at
http://acorange.home.comcast.net/TABI
and please make suggestions for new material.



if you'd like to unsubscribe you can do so through the freelists.org web
interface, or by sending an email to the address tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.

Check out the TABI resource web page at http://acorange.home.comcast.net/TABI
and please make suggestions for new material.



if you'd like to unsubscribe you can do so through the freelists.org web 
interface, or by sending an email to the address tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.

Other related posts: