[tabi] Re: major change proposed for TDC coordinator

  • From: "Easy Talk" <easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:34:42 -0400

Well, I wonder why this doesn't surprise me.  Carl, first of all do you know if
the city doesn't want to be the coordinator any more? What was donnas'
reaction?  Does this proposed change just affect the CTC or are they proposing
that Big Bend also provide the Dial A ride service?  If they are getting that
kind of money, I can't imagine they would want to lose the contract.  If you do
the math, the city is taking about 21.5 percent of the total budget which I
absolutely don't understand since they have 4 reservationist and are currently
working with only three.  These reservationist are already on the city payroll
for Dial A ride so I can't see any justification for the ridiculous broker fee.
 Just goes to show where the city's hart is.  Based on this information the
city is charging about $7.75 for scheduling a round trip based on a round trip
costing $36.00.  It's no wonder we aren't able to have the level of service we
have had in the past.  I would almost bet most of the board members didn't know
the amount the city was charging for coordination. I also don't understand why
the city wouldn't want to continue being the CTC with budgets being what they
are.

With this said, I wonder if Chip might have hit the nail on the head regarding
his remarks about the Nova 2010 plan and the extra burden it will place on Dial
A ride. Politicians will say anything to make things happen the way they want.
I don't believe for a minute Dial A ride will provide the level of service they
have said they will with the new plan because Federal guide lines don't require
them to and after the deal is done and the level of service follows federal
guide lines which is 3/4 miles out side the main fixed route system, there is
nothing we could do to change it which means there will be a grater demand of
service placed on the non sponsored service.

When this issue came up the last time, I was against it but now I have to say I
think it might be the best way to go as long as it doesn't include providing
Dial A ride service for the following reasons.  Big Bend was the coordinator
when the non sponsored program began and there was a time when there wasn't
enough money in the past and Big bend did not deign any rides during that time.
 Under the current situation, Big Bend has stepped up to the plate in an effort
to help us by providing the $5 per trips that a lot of us are using now.  I
have known Ted Watters for years and I truly believe his hart is in the right
place.
For the most part, I have found the service from Big Bend to be satisfactory
and if they are the CTC and the main provider, surely they could do it much
cheaper.

I think we should be very skeptical until we know all the facts especially
since they are trying to do it in a meeting not open to the public and so
quickly.  I would think under the Sunshine law they would be required to have
public hearings.

Robert