[tabi] info to prevent identity theft

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:09:23 -0400

Someone passed this along to me, and I think it's good advice:

 ATTORNEY'S ADVICE - NO CHARGE:

 Not A Joke!!   Even If you dislike attorneys..You will love them for
these tips..

 Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to
it someday.
Maybe we should all take some of his advice! A corporate attorney sent
the following
out to the employees in his company:

 1. Do not sign  the back of your credit cards. Instead, put 'PHOTO ID
REQUIRED.'

 2. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts,  DO
NOT put
the complete  account number on the 'For' line. Instead, just put the
last four
numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and
anyone who might
be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing
channels won't
have access to it.

 3. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If
you have
a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO
Box, use
your work address. Never  have your  SS# printed on your checks. (DUH!)
You can add
it if it is necessary. But if you have It printed, anyone can get it.

 4. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both
sides of each
license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and
all of the
account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel.. Keep the
photocopy in a safe
place..
 I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or
abroad.. We've
all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing
a Name, address,
Social Security number, credit cards..

 Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have first hand knowledge because my
wallet was
stolen last month. Within a week, the thieves ordered an expensive
monthly cell phone
package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to
buy a Gateway
computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record
information
online, and more.
 But here's some critical information to limit the damage  in case this
happens
to you or someone you know:

 5. We have been told we should  cancel our  credit cards immediately.
But the key
is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know
whom to call.
Keep those where you can find them.

 6..  File a  police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your
credit cards,
etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent,
and this is
a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

 But here's what is perhaps  most important of all: (I never even
thought to do
this.)
 7. Call  the  3 national credit reporting organizations  immediately to
place a
fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line
number.. I
had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to
tell me an application
for credit was made over the Internet in my name.

 The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your
information was
stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit..

 By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft,
all the
damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks
initiated by the
thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert.
Since then,
no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away
this weekend
(someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their
tracks..

 Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet,
if it has
been stolen:

 1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

 2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

 3.) Trans Union : 1-800-680 7289

 4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line):
 1-800-269-0271

 We pass along jokes on the Internet; we pass along just about
everything.

 If you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help
someone
that you care about.